Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Tree Hunting

Soon after our Thanksgiving visitors left town, so did we - heading in the opposite direction.  Rumors circulated that a storm was moving in so we wanted to get ahead of the snowfall.  While musing upon the fact that we passed a lot of sagebrush en route to the mountains where our special tree hunting spot is located, Jantzen discovered this incredible sight.
 Without his eagle-eyes, we would have missed this majestic herd of elk!
 It was the largest herd I've ever seen (100+) on the run (not in a national park or at an elk ranch, etc.).  After Jantzen spotted them, we quickly turned the car around and followed where possible.
 It was truly an amazing sight to behold as they crossed the road a short distance from where we stopped our car.
Before long, we ascended into a snow-covered mountain range.
See our Yukon at the base of the trees?
 I was only slightly nervous when Aaron pulled off the main road.
Yes, we blazed trails in the back country for a bit.  
I was really grateful that a few hunters had been out earlier.
 After hiking up the hillside, we found just the right tree to cut down and bring home with us.
 Anna and I ran down to the car and hiked back up again because we wanted the camera.  We worked up a serious sweat - so here Anna is trying to cool down in the snow for a minute.
 Anna and Quinn help Aaron get the tree on the sled.
It ended up being a gorgeous day in the mountains.
 Elsie and Jantzen had fun sledding until it was time to haul the tree down the hill.

 Quinn - leading the way back to the car.
 Aaron was really happy I came along.  
It took both of us to adequately tie the tree atop the car for the drive home.

We spotted lots of animal tracks and droppings and were prepared with our bear spray.  
Fortunately, we didn't need to use it:).
But a trip to the mountains around here, you don't leave home without it.
 Elsie, Quinn & Anna - settle in after taking off all their winter gear.
 Back at home, Tanner and Brinley helped get a head start on the decorating process.
 The children's tree (artificial one) is kept upstairs by their bedrooms and decorated with all of the fun ornaments they have created over the years.
 Decorating the trees is always a trip down memory lane.
Here Anna is reading old Christmas cards from dear family and friends.  My kids love to reminisce and see how people have grown and changed as the years pass along.
 
There is something wonderful about digging out the Christmas boxes...
 ...and watching the children cooperate with each other.
 Ahhh, the spirit of Christmas.

 We love this typically crazy-busy time of the year.
And while we've had plenty going on, it hasn't felt too crazy-busy.
 Perhaps it's because I decided to try the annual routine of a friend of mine, Andrea A.
She doesn't step foot inside a store after December 1 - for Christmas shopping. 
 I got a jump start on it all this year and am not looking back or second-guessing purchases.  Inevitably, you see something for a better price after making a selection or kids change their minds, etc. It helped that I explained all this to the kids in October/November so they knew mom would be done by December 1 (for the most part).
 Yeah, the family Christmas card pictures were purchased in September and I've had the neighbor/teacher gifts wrapped and stashed away since mid-October.  Got to love it!
 It seems the older I get, the faster this season clips along...
...and I want to enjoy the sweet moments without the materialistic distractions.

Happy 12/13/14!

No comments: