Tuesday, March 22, 2016

March Mad/Goodness

Sunday is usually my day to make a post and it's hard to come back to it during the week.  But, between home and visiting teaching, dinner guests that ended up having to catch a different flight, Sunday school lesson prep, Aaron's speaking assignment, Jantzen's deacon's quorum meeting, beautiful weather (going for our first walk of the season), etc. the blog post didn't happen.
Tanner's first Sunday in Costa Rica - March 6th.
Aaron located the nearest LDS church building with a 9:00am sacrament meeting.  He and Tanner arrived by 8:30am with plenty of time to read scriptures and prepare.  Imagine their surprise when they realized a broadcasted regional conference was on the schedule - and finally started at 10:30am. Of course, it was all in Spanish and there were no headset/translation options.  By Sunday afternoon, the two had parted ways - Tanner to his host family and Aaron back to the hotel.
While Tanner attended classes at CRLA during the week and remained with his host family, Aaron captured a few pics on his day trip to the volcano and hot springs.
Hot springs behind Aaron
The beautiful countryside in Costa Rica.
It was a long week but having the weekend together proved to be rejuvenating for both of them.

Boat tour through a rain forest during their zip-line adventure.


Nothing fancy about these accommodations.  
They hiked ladders attached to trees and enjoyed a serious work-out before their zip-lining adventures were over.



This red frog happens to be the most deadly/poisonous creature around.  Yikes!


Before long, their time together was at an end.
They were able to attend a regular sacrament meeting together before Aaron left for the airport.  He snapped this shot of Tanner as he was getting into a taxi on Sunday, Mar.13.
San Jose from airplane window.
Taking off was a mixed emotions kind of experience for Aaron leaving his oldest son (literally) all alone in a foreign country - no companion, minimal language skills, etc.  I'm sure it was a very bittersweet parting for both of them.  

Aaron arrived in Salt Lake with enough time to sleep and work (sort of) for a few hours at Mom and Dad's Murray house before driving back to the airport to pick up Jantzen from the shuttle.
Monday was not only Pi Day or the day I processed 60 lbs. of chicken, it also happened to be the day both Tanner and Jantzen were traveling alone for several hours by buses. Over and over I have reminded myself that 'there is no growth in the comfort zone' and 'we do hard things'.

Redemption Day for Jantzen's Christmas gift.
Jantzen and Aaron arrived plenty early to the game because Jantzen wanted to watch the teams warm-up.  They also scored better seats that were available!


With an 8:30pm start time for the game, these two didn't get home until 2:30am.  Jantzen had school the next morning but at least he was able to sleep on the drive home.
So grateful our weary travelers made it home safely.
A St. Patrick's Day banner, a few window clings and a box of green Lucky Charms cereal for breakfast - that's how festive we were this year.  And we wore green shirts. 
Quinn did find a few clues around the house from a mystery leprechaun and I think Jantzen and Anna captured him on video....
I passed on the Lucky Charms and opted for my daily green smoothie instead.
Danna and Elsie - eating at PPC
By Friday mid-morning, travel-wearied Aaron was on the road again.  This time he was heading to Boise with Jantzen and Anna for their first weekend soccer tournament.  Originally, Quinn and Elsie were 100% excited and committed to making the 9-hour round trip but Aaron and I knew it would be miserable for everyone if they came along.  The game schedule was so packed having two teams/players, there wouldn't even be time to swim in the hotel pool.  Heartbroken at the devastating reality that they wouldn't be joining the Boise travelers, Quinn and Elsie finally accepted Mom's alternative arrangement. 
Quinn and Quinn - put the food away!
Each were able to invite a friend over after school for a playdate/movie/dinner at Pizza Pie Cafe.
Yeah, I went all out on this one!
Even Brinley joined our little party:).
In their final game, Jantzen scored two goals and helped lead the team to their only win of the tournament.  It was a rough start but considering the fact that the snow just melted (in our area) and the kids haven't been able to practice outside (yet), it will come together for them.
Aaron was a trooper and sat through six games before feeding these two and driving back home Saturday afternoon.  What an awesome Dad!  I volunteered to take them (sort of), but wanted to be home for Brinley's first official date/dance...
We had painting projects going on back at home.
Adam, Becca, Joe, Brinley, Dallin, Haley
The day date portion took place at our house.  "Spring Fling" is a girl's choice casual dance so the kids wore these glow-in-the-dark shirts to the dance that night.
Brinley and Joe work on their nasty/tasty creations together.
They also participated in "Cupcake Wars". 
I won't claim to have figured out the rules of this game but the results were very interesting.  Brinley and Joe had to incorporate canned collard greens into their recipe.  
Although they have been friends for a while, this was the first time I have actually met Joe.  
I will say I was impressed by his dishwashing skills.  He is a very nice/good boy.
There were four couples total in their dance group but they split up for the "Cupcake Wars".
Final competition was held at Haley's house.
Off to dinner at Becca's house and then to the dance. 
I think her first date was a success.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Another hectic week. I wish I had read your blog earlier so I could have asked Brinley about her date. Looks like fun!