Saturday, September 3, 2016

Tanner - MTC Bound

Eric & Jacob Madsen (also going to Pittsburgh, Spanish speaking), Tanner & Aaron
Tanner had the opportunity to speak in sacrament meeting on Sunday, August 21, 2016.  Interestingly enough, his assigned topic was the importance of temple marriage.  Wow - he did an outstanding job sharing thoughts and testimony about this gospel principle.  Many people commented on his remarks but a touching text message was sent to me from a divorced sister in attendance that said "first time I've heard a talk where I felt like just because I got a divorce that I was still worth something and that I can still have an eternal family.  He said many good things that I needed to hear....".  Knowing what this woman has been through and recognizing the instrument Tanner was filled my mother-heart with gratitude.  I know Tanner will touch the lives of many people as he shares gospel truths with others.
Aaron, Heather, Tanner
G-pa P, Aaron, Heather, Tanner, G-ma P
Aaron, Heather, Tanner, G-ma & G-pa M
Bonnie, Breanna & Derek
Hilary, Dad, LaVerne, Aaron, Jameson
After attending the block of meetings (11-2pm), it was time to EAT!  Lots of family and friends came to show their love and support to Tanner.  We thoroughly enjoyed the large gathering that lasted all afternoon.  We really love these people!

Anna, Lillian, Elsie, Jenna
Julia, Cameron, Hilary
Bennett, Bonnie, Erica's Steve, Adam
Julia, Bob, Heather, LaVerne
Cousins - Greta, Jameson, Bennett, Korinne, Jett, Jagger, Quinn
Erica, Steve, Cameron, Janene, Chris, Aaron
Whitney, Cam (again!), Matt, Jenna, Brinley
Kristen K. always takes a pic of Aaron's plate.
We enjoyed BBQ pork sandwiches, a large variety of salads, fresh fruit and chips/salsa (homemade).
Julia, Chris, Bob, Janene, LaVerne, Erica, Steve
Brinley, Jordan, G-pa P
Cam, Bryant, Bonnie, Jenna, Lillian, Anna, Breanna, Derek, Jameson
People gathered inside and outside.  The weather cooperated nicely.  I believe everyone ate their fill.

We sang "Happy Birthday" to Janene (Aug. 31 - age 70), Steve (Aug. 21 - age 68), and Britton (Aug. 20 - age 15).  Platters of cookies and brownie bites were for the kids.  The homemade coconut-pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting G-ma P whipped up was incredible!  Janene also made a delicious almond-peach pound cake that was divine.  Two made-from-scratch birthday cakes?!? YUM!
Breanna, Tanner, Derek
Tanner & Jameson (next up to serve)
Tanner & Annie (called to serve in Philippines - leaves Nov. 30)
Aaron, Cameron, Whitney, Matt
Britton, Adam, Hilary
Chris, Julie w/Faye, Whitney, Matt, Jordan
Bonnie & Brinley
Meagan G., Elise W., Tanner, Chloe W., Annie S., Carli G., Elsie,  Andrew A.
Emilee T., Andrew A., ?, Garrett L., Haley P.
The friends just kept coming.  Most of them young ladies, of course.  The majority of Tanner's guy friends are already on missions.  He was one of the last to go this summer.
LaVerne, Jordan, Chris
Until later hug from Great G-pa LaVerne - age 94
These two really love each other.
Laura & Eliza S., Carli C., Haley H. joined the group along the way
Britton & Jantzen (Jenna photobomber)
In all of the picture taking, it seems I missed Garrett (again!).  
Adam, Britton, Hilary, Jameson, Korinne, Tanner, Jenna
G-pa P & Brinley
 We appreciated the extra help from G-ma & G-pa P in the kitchen and were grateful they drove up the night before so we had a little more time together.  It's always hard to say good-bye!
Notice Elsie and Anna sitting in the chair in Tanner's bedroom?  They wanted to be with him all they could before he left so they watched him pack.  And helped a little when needed....it was pretty sweet.  It was an interesting time anticipating so many big changes all at once.  Along with adjusting from our time in Hawaii, the other kids were busy preparing to return to school on Wednesday.
This guy knows how to pack.  Yeah, we both get excited about these packing cubes.  Tanner has always liked to be prepared and be organized with his stuff.  Mission life will be no different.
He even took along a few extras.  I doubt there is another missionary out there that had room or thought to pack a single-serving blender in his suitcase along with a canister of green smoothie mix.  That's my boy!
Tuesday we wrapped things up around town and at home.  One more haircut.  A new watch band. And the timely influenza vaccine he was required to get.  We were told he would have to receive it once he got to Pittsburgh due to availability this time of the year but the new batch had just arrived at our local pharmacy.  It saved Tanner the hassle-factor.  Besides, I also gave Tanner his last foot zone for a few years (I'm not a fan of the annual flu shot idea).  When I asked Tanner what he would like to do/have for his last meal with us, he chose Costa Vida.  That's really his favorite place these days.  Then we all cleaned up and headed over to the Stake President's house where Tanner was set apart as a full-time missionary.  It was a choice experience.  G-pa M was wearing his Stake President hat and we could all feel the mantle of his calling as he counseled with Tanner (and us).  He allowed a few of us to share thoughts/testimony with Tanner before the setting apart blessing was given.  There was such a magnificent feeling of the spirit it was hard to keep the tears away.   Tanner will be the only grandchild to be set apart by his grandfather before entering the mission field.  It was a unique opportunity and privilege.
President M., Tanner, Aaron, LaVerne
 4 generations of righteous Priesthood holders
Jordan, Bob, Tanner, Aaron, LaVerne
Janene, Tanner, Heather
Tanner's good-bye kiss!
The most poignant moment occurred later that evening when Tanner offered family prayers for the last time.  There wasn't a dry eye by the end of it.  We capped off our emotional moment with a group hug and some laughter before sending the kids to bed.  Next day was a big day for everyone!
Anna - 7th grade - MJH
Jantzen - 8th grade - MJH
Tanner - MTC 
Elsie - 4th grade - Mrs. Robinson
Quinn - 2nd grade - Mrs. Ham
Brinley - 11th grade - MHS
Youngest and oldest - share a special bond.
Aaron and I struggled to decide which way to go.  In the end, we were glad we had the kids say their good-byes to Tanner and then jump on the school bus for the first day.  It helped ease the transition and saved them from 10 hours of driving and a very long, exhausting day.  There was such a flurry of activity as we were all getting out the door at the same time - it was surreal.  Aaron, Tanner and I loaded up suitcases and quietly pulled away from the house.  We make the UT drive often and it goes by fairly quickly (usually).  To me, this felt like the longest drive ever.  Granted, we don't usually go south to Provo but even with our few stops along the way (looking for just the right luggage tags - ha-ha), it felt super long-ish to me.  I really can't describe my feelings adequately but I'll admit to breaking down for a moment when Tanner left to use the restroom when we stopped for lunch.
Lunch at Zuppa's
We arrived in plenty of time to park the truck and walk around the temple grounds for a few minutes - along with lots and lots and lots of other missionaries/families.  We made a few friends out and about.  Everyone a mixed-bag of emotion.  Did I mention how HOT it was outside?!?

It hasn't been confirmed to me but rumor has it that Wednesday, August 24 was about the busiest day the MTC has seen!  Aaron had me offer our final prayer together while we sat in the Yukon. I guess I could have said a longer prayer because...we lined up (in MTC-only traffic) about 30 minutes before Tanner's drop-off time of 1:30pm and pulled up a few minutes "late".  Traffic was worse than exiting a parking lot after a BYU football game!
My front row seat.
Trying to get through the light and into the MTC drop-off zone.
We pulled up to our spot and this friendly Elder introduced himself and let us know we had 3 minutes.  He helped get the luggage out of the car and offered to take a few pictures of us. 




I took one of Aaron and Tanner's final hug.  They both teared up and then it was my turn.  Aaron was too busy wiping his eyes to take any pictures of me with Tanner but it was a tender moment for mom and son.  Oh, how I love this kid!  Almost in an effort to keep the floodgates from spilling all over, I jumped back in the truck then realized Aaron was smart enough to take a few more pics of Tanner walking off with the host Elder.  All I could think was how easy it has been for me to watch other mom's send their kids off to the mission field.  It's a little harder than I thought....
...but that's ok.  We all do hard things.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What tender moments. Thanks for sharing! I am tearing up just reading about it. It is hard for mother's to say goodbye to those sons. Tanner will be a very good missionary. We are sure of that. We love you all!