This holiday season we are focusing on the #LighttheWorld Christmas initiative. Each morning we discuss what's on the calendar for that day and how we can be more like Jesus - 25 ways in 25 days. At the end of the day, the children have the opportunity to report back to us. This past weekend Jantzen, Brinley and Anna were able to assist with performing baptisms for ancestors (29 males, 30 females) so they certainly fulfilled their responsibilities for 'honoring parents'. We know Tanner is busy helping spread the good news of the gospel this season and we want to do our part.
To kick off our holiday season we attended the 25th Anniversary Tour of Michael McClean's "The Forgotten Carols" on Monday (FHE activity). It's the first time this show has come to our town and both shows were performed for sell-out crowds. The singers (besides McClean himself) were so amazing! It helped put (most of) us in the Christmas spirit for this month of December.
| Back -Eliza, Ana, Scarlett, Boston Front -Ashleigh, Kamay, Emily, Elsie |
Elsie had fun making a beautiful Christmas ornament at Activity Days this past week.
| Elsie was all about putting the star at the top of the tree. |
Friday evening was our ward Christmas dinner and program. The primary children performed a nativity of sorts and sang carols. Quinn was one of the "Wisemen" and Elsie was an angel and held the letter "H" as part of the Merry Christmas message. We had soups in bread bowls and various salads and desserts. After singing a few songs we had to skip out early for a basketball game.
| Wisemen and Angel |
I still cannot remember why I didn't attempt to order tickets for the David Archuleta Christmas concert before they were completely sold out?!? Fortunately for Brinley, her friend Aubrey had a sister that couldn't come at the last minute so Brinley was able to attend the incredible concert Saturday night. It was the first time in the short history of the BYU-I Center for a performer to sell out the 15,000 seat venue! I was really sad to have missed such an incredible show - and have heard rave reviews all day from those that went. When David comes back, I'll be ready:).
In other news, our ward has witnessed many mighty miracles these past 5 months as a young father has been battling cancer since his diagnoses in July. His wife gave birth to their fourth child just a few weeks ago and he was able to give his newborn daughter a name and blessing before he passed away. After spending time in SL for extensive treatments, the chemo failed and Damien was sent home Thursday afternoon on hospice. Through a series of events (guidance of the spirit), Aaron was able to take a shift 10pm-1am assisting Damien and holding his hand to calm him as he became agitated. Another lady in our ward took care of the 3-week old baby girl so the mother could try and get some sleep The 3 other children (5 yr and under) were sleeping at the home of another family where they had been cared for for nearly 3 weeks so Cassie and newborn could be in UT with Damien. The veil was thin and the hours full of sacred contemplation for Aaron and he thought of how this baby had just left our Heavenly Father's presence and how her father was about to return to it. Nearly 15 hours after Aaron's shift ended, Damien peacefully passed away with his wife by his side (Friday afternoon). Our entire ward (and beyond) has rallied and supported this little family in ways I could scarcely believe. I have witnessed the Lord's hand expressed through others time and again and it has humbled me to recognize how much He loves this family and all of us. My mind has raced through various scenarios and thought a lot about this situation. In the end, Cassie will be okay because she has a strong testimony of the gospel plan and trusts the Lord will guide her in what comes next. The journey will not be easy and I'm sure we will continue to have opportunities to serve but through the process, something changes inside our own hearts and we become a little more like our Savior.


1 comment:
I am crying as I read this tender post. We were aware of this family's struggles and realize how many challenges that Cassie has ahead of her. I'm sure your ward has wrapped arms around this family and will continue to do so. I will pray for her and all of you as you help her.
Post a Comment