I'm getting used to the new 20 step process required to download pictures from my phone and get them imported into the blog. Even though it's been written down (so I can remember), there are still 'issues' and moments of confusion:). Technology changes faster than I can keep up with. And why did the old-fashioned way of keeping a photo album ever seem hard to do anyway? Just slip the photo in a sleeve with names and dates...no searching a zillion drives or backing up to cyberspace and beyond! I digress....
We celebrated the week of family LOVE around here. Aaron and I attended an adult ward dinner on Tuesday evening. The YM/YW helped out and Vocal Spectrum (MHS performance group) sang a few 'love' songs before heading to the district basketball game. There was a really good turn out including Annie and Eddy (a VT family I have been encouraging for years). Some of the engagement/proposal stories told at our table were hilarious - we were in stitches all evening!
Wednesday morning (after our 5:30am gym session) Aaron and I stopped at Broulim's to pick up the traditional dozen donuts for Valentine's Day breakfast. It's something our kids happily anticipate each year. Starting the day on a sugar-high isn't generally recommended but on February 14, we splurge. Somehow strawberry flavored pink milk has become part of the annual tradition as well.

 |
| Quinn and Elsie at breakfast |
Aaron bought each of the girls a beautiful red rose and gave it to them in the morning. It was our attempt to counteract the unbelievable amount of pressure and expectation that has crept into this simple holiday. A few days earlier, the local high school sent out an email with guidelines for Valentine's Day deliveries. What was once a thoughtful gesture to bring in balloons, flowers or chocolates has become just one more platform for an over-the-top frenzy spurred by social media. We told our children that if they needed us to bring balloons to school to show the world we love them, there is a problem. I walked into the elementary school Wednesday morning to help with the art program and noticed the craze has just trickled down. So the 10 children that don't receive a 'gift' suddenly feel 'unloved'? The school classroom isn't the forum for this but I'll get off my soapbox now.
 |
| Elsie taking her homemade Valentine's to school |
 |
| Quinn's lovely loot |
 |
| Anna in white |
This week hasn't been all about cupid, chocolate and hearts. Throw in a few more basketball games, foot zone appointments, homework projects, birthday parties, playdates, school/church commitments and a whole lot more of the normal stuff during the week.
 |
| Brinley finding snow in Salem area |
 |
| Rachel and Brinley - love photography in Mother Nature |
 |
| Jantzen's latest school drawing - Kyrie Irving |
For my birthday, Aaron gave me a night away at the nearby Blue Heron Inn which we redeemed on Friday (Valentine's weekend). We've driven by this place off Highway 20 a zillion times but I never realized it was a bed & breakfast. The quiet, relaxing cabin atmosphere was a nice change of pace and the breakfast was very tasty.
 |
| I liked the charming book nook upstairs. |
 |
Dinner at Bee's Knees Pub & Grill
Salmon w/raspberry puree and avocado creme & smashed potatoes |
 |
Breakfast at the Blue Heron Inn
Toasted almond/coconut fruit & yogurt cup |
 |
| Delicious stuffed french toast, potatoes & eggs |
Brinley did a fabulous job holding down the fort and running kids to and fro during our quick absence. Here's evidence of the girl's photo shoot - Elsie's turn to use Brin's camera....
 |
| Quinn - swinging at Gravity Factory |
I don't have any pictures but Jantzen enjoyed going on a YM overnighter near Yellowstone over the weekend. He was thrilled to be able to snowboard now that basketball is over and spent Saturday traversing the hills near the Leatham's cabin. We were grateful there were no collisions with the snow machines also in operation and the 'white-out' driving conditions they came home in last night. There have been a handful of hard moments this past week as well but mostly, we're just feeling the love!
1 comment:
The bed and breakfast place looked fun and the food fantastic! Glad you were able to celebrate. Every blog showcases new talents I didn't realize everyone had. Jantzen's art is great too. Brinley and Elsie make a good team. Her photo with the roses looks like a magazine cover. Awesome! Sorry the photos are such a hassle. It takes a few steps for me too but I guess I'm just used it to. Thanks for blogging!
Post a Comment