I laughed when I found this picture on my phone (I think Elsie took it?). It looks as though I have all the time in the world to relax and read a good book...which isn't exactly true. But, I love the idea! And I'm working to make this my reality:). In any event, while I've been 'silent' on the blog scene so far this month, it's been anything but quiet and relaxing around here. I'll summarize by writing that the first half of this month was filled with drama due to extended family situations but Aaron and I are very grateful things have settled down for now.
End of the trimester always hits the first week of March (along with Dr. Seuss week). Extra projects and stresses of all sorts for the kids (and parents). As is evident, I've never been one to take over the book reports, science projects or any other assignment for that matter. They are 100% my kids' efforts.
 |
| Book Bag report by Elsie |
 |
| "Goblet of Fire" - Brinley painted/created |
 |
| Wyatt and Jantzen during car ride |
The first weekend of March also marks the state high school basketball tournament. Aaron had plans to take the kids for the extended weekend again this year until we learned our niece, Greta, was scheduled to be baptized on Saturday. We let Jantzen tag along with Wyatt's family and Brinley made the 5-hour drive crammed into a small Audi with four other friends. Winter storm warnings made us a bit nervous but the girls navigated the roads well and arrived safely in Boise. They stayed in a hotel and split the cost between the five of them.
 |
| Jantzen stayed at an airbnb with Kim & Kirk (Wyatt's parents) |
I know for a fact that Jantzen spent more time at the arena watching basketball games than Brinley did. She supported her fellow classmates by cheering them on but also explored new territory with her friends. They visited an art museum, the zoo, went shopping and had a fabulous time together.
 |
| Rachel & Brinley |
 |
| Brinley & Rachel |
 |
Cousins - Breanna w/ Polly, Lillian, Elsie, Anna, Greta, (Bradley cousin), Quinn Jett, (Bradley cousin), Faye, Jagger, Bennett |
Although it was a scheduled stake baptismal service, Greta was the only child to be baptized on Saturday, March 3. Julia's sister's family attended the baptism along with her parents so there was a nice gathering back at Chris & Julia's place afterward. We enjoyed having Bonnie and Bryant drive up and spent a lot of talk/time with them over the weekend along with Breanna and Derek. We made arrangements to pick up Jett & Jagger from Kasey since Cam wasn't able to attend which allowed the cousins to have fun together.
 |
| Bonnie, Julia w/Polly, Heather |
 |
| Breanna & Derek - announce TWINS! |
We hosted a 'college student' Sunday dinner recently. Aaron's cousin, McKenzie M. (Kevin & Gena's daughter attending school here) brought her boyfriend and we had Breanna and Derek over also. As they were the first to arrive, we had a few minutes to chat with them. I just knew Breanna was going to share some news with us so I walked over to her and asked, "So, how
are you feeling these days?". She knew I knew and we both laughed! Breanna asked if her mom had told me but I assured her Bonnie said nothing. The spirit told me:). What I didn't know, however, was the fact that she's expecting TWINS! Babies are due the first part of September but the Dr. has already said they will come in August. Pretty crazy to think that Breanna will have gotten married and had two children while Tanner has been on his mission! (The wedding was a week after Tanner left and the babies will come a week before he returns). Derek graduates next month so we'll see where they end up as the job hunt continues....
 |
| Cool braid Anna did with Elsie's hair |
 |
| Anna - #10 |
Recently, the MJH 8th grade girl's basketball season officially ended. Anna played in an 'off-season' tournament this past weekend with the MHS girl's varsity coach leading the way. It was exciting to observe a change in the line-up where Anna was able to play more aggressively and make a contribution. She will continue to play in a 3-on-3 league in April with summer commitments through June. Anna chose to shift away from club soccer this spring as she has been wanting to give track a try. Team practices started two weeks ago - just in time for the unpredictably snowy weather.
 |
| Celebrating Pi Day on 3.14 |
 |
| Flyer from the school |
 |
| Top 5 projects are Quinn's artwork |
 |
| Some of the raffle prizes at the art show. |
It's always a good feeling to wrap up the PTO-sponsored art program at the local elementary school where I serve on the board. I happen to be over the coordination of the art classes (creating lesson plans w/professional artist, purchasing supplies, finding and coordinating with parent-volunteers to assist for 5 weeks, set-up/clean-up in the art room, etc.). It's a big undertaking. Fortunately, Ashley P. and Katie A. volunteered to spearhead the actual art show held in the evening. I helped with some of the prep work but my responsibilities that evening were with the refreshment table (rationing out cookies - haha!) and speaking in the microphone to introduce the art teacher, explain the program, etc. It's probably THE favorite PTO-sponsored activity the students participate in each year.

Anna wanted a haircut. She didn't want to wait a few weeks for an opening with our regular hairdresser so I dropped her off at the local beauty school. Yeah, I was maintaining the cookie refreshment table when her tearful call came in. Of course, more length was taken off than she expected so she was a little shocked. But, hair grows and she moved on pretty quickly since she looks amazing no matter the length!
 |
| Elsie & Anna after haircut |
 |
| leprechaun trap #1 |
Quinn is serious about building leprechaun traps. He doesn't believe in Santa Claus. He doesn't believe in the Easter bunny. He doesn't believe in the Tooth Fairy. But don't try to convince him leprechauns aren't for real. He'll give you all the reasons they DO exist.
 |
| leprechaun trap #2 |
 |
| Top O' the Morning! |
On St. Patty's Day, the little leprechaun left Quinn a note and his black top hat behind after making a mess of and escaping Quinn's traps. I do absolutely nothing to perpetuate this one...but somebody else sure does.
 |
| leprechaun hat left behind with note for Quinn |
 |
| traditional breakfast on March 17th |
Well, it feels better to catch up a bit and record a few March moments.
Happy St. Patty's Day to my Irish kin!
1 comment:
Another very busy month I see. I think that art PTO sponsored classes and show are wonderful. Great job, Heather. Quinn's display is fantastic. Congrats to everyone on their accomplishments. I surely appreciate your posting them. We have Irish heritage but the best I can do is make colcannon and usually corned beef.
Post a Comment