Sunday, April 5, 2020

Marching in the Pandemic

The old saying "March roars in like a lion and out like a lamb" certainly doesn't describe March 2020.  Obviously, this folklore rhyme is referring to the unpredictable nature of the weather but in light of the COVID-19 Pandemic that has made its appearance the world over, I'd say this month started out as calm as any other and has ended with the world turned upside down.  
I found this painting on the counter in the laundry room (March 2).  I knew Anna had artistic abilities but this is the first painting she's ever done.  Love the title.  So fitting for this month's journey.
With several feet of snow yet to melt, the roads were clear enough for me and Aaron to bundle up for the first ride of the season.  I hadn't been on a bike since LOTOJA in September.  It was cold and windy but we felt accomplished afterwards!
Aaron had a business class to attend in Santa Monica, CA (March 10) and took Jantzen along.  Even though the temperatures barely made it to the low 60's, it felt like spring had sprung for this kid!




They were able to attend a NBA basketball game at the Staples Center just before the USA started shutting things down.  The coronavirus that originated in China (closed borders in January) was making its way around the globe and began surfacing in America.
Here is Elsie all smiles with her new dance gear - backpack, costume bag, etc.  At the time, she had no idea her dance competition season which was just getting underway, was about to come to screeching halt.  In fact, none of us could have predicted what was just around the corner.
This cute family drove from Texas to Idaho during their spring break from school and personally delivered a bag of 'stuff' from Brinley.  They're from the McKinney area and offered to drop off Brinley's winter clothing on their trip to visit family.  It was a short but sweet visit!
Dinner at El Charro Loco in Moab, UT
Several months ago, our friends (Matt & Jane) convinced us to register for the Skinny Tire Festival held annually in Moab, UT.  It's a 4-day bike riding event that covers beautiful terrain in the company of a 'relaxed' crowd.  Never mind the fact that I had been out on a bike once before this weekend arrived.  At least Aaron had the benefit of getting on his trainer indoors during the winter.  It's safe to say I was a little apprehensive about what we committed ourselves to!
Grand View Point Overlook
News of the coronavirus was starting to take over the media and this Skinny Tire Festival officially cancelled the day before we arrived.  The organizers said it was not related to the virus but rather a community scheduling issue.  Needless to say, we weren't overly concerned and since we already had a hotel room booked and cleared our schedule, Aaron and I enjoyed a lovely weekend in Moab.
First ride - 42 miles - Canyonlands National park
Matt and Jane orchestrated the bike riding adventure with us, Teresa & Vance (Utah), and Katie & Kerry (Colorado).  The six of them stayed in an airbnb together while Aaron and I stayed at a hotel in town.  It worked perfectly to meet up for all our meals at the house they rented.  In this way, we didn't eat out in public as the news began to focus on social distancing and potential school closures.  At the time, we were focused on good company and bike riding so we paid little attention to what the rest of the world was concerned about.
Matt & Jane, Aaron & Heather - Dead Horse State Park


The others all brought mountain bikes AND road bikes.  Did I mention they are pretty intense/serious bikers?  Anyway, it was really nice of them to let Aaron and me try out a few of their mountain bikes.  I think it was a first for me - we covered about 8 miles of various terrain and had a great time!
Afterward our mountain biking adventure, Aaron and I let the others get serious while we did a not-so-little hike to check out the famous Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.
We had to wait in quite the line to get our picture taken under the arch.  I was surprised by how many people were making the pilgrimage to see this natural wonder during the 'off-season' with a potential pandemic on the horizon.



While the others decided to bike into Arches National Park on Monday, Aaron and I chose a different route for our final ride in Moab.  I didn't feel ready for the elevation climbs they had planned.  It was lovely to finally have warmer temps (I didn't expect such cold weather!).  In the end, Aaron and I climbed 2900 ft. of elevation and rode 44 miles.  It was a demanding but satisfying ride as we pushed ourselves - we made a great team.

Vance & Teresa, Aaron & Heather (missed pic w/Katie & Kerry)
The reality of the COVID-19 situation began to settle in as we packed up to leave on Tuesday morning.  Aaron and I found brown paper bags containing bottled water, a granola bar and an apple on the continental breakfast counter with the explanation that the hotel was no longer allowed to serve food.  A drastic change was in the air.  We found signs posted around town limiting the number of people in an eating establishment but easily grabbed a quick breakfast at the Jailhouse Cafe before heading home.  That morning we heard someone driving up and down main street with a megaphone telling people to go home.  This was the beginning of major societal changes for everyone.
On our way home, we stopped in Logan to check out this townhouse we were seriously considering for a rental property (Tanner will be attending grad school at USU).  Ultimately, we didn't move forward with the purchase as the future was becoming more unsettling amidst economic and societal upheaval.  We listened to COVID-19 news conferences during our drive home and felt the shift of our carefree travels come to an abrupt halt.
still more snow!
School closures meant the kids were home all day every day.  It took a week or so for everyone to adjust to a "new normal" and to realize we were serious about the whole 'social distancing' thing.  No more hanging out with friends - physically only via technology.  Missionaries were coming home from foreign countries, temples were closing, all non-essential businesses were to close so workers could remain at home.  And the list goes on.
My kids told me this whole pandemic is a mother's dream because she has her children home and knows where they are and what they are doing at all times - haha!  Secretly, with teenagers - I agree!  Not only that but having them around to help me rake up 35+ black bags of dead grass from vole damage has been super helpful!  Grrr.....to those darn critters!
voles ate this entire section of grass - only dirt remains
Cleaning up the yard has been an ongoing project this month and we're not done yet but the weather has been cold and WINDY so we've worked when possible.  We are hopeful having a dog around will help with the critter challenges so Aaron introduced the idea of getting a golden-doodle puppy.  The kids are ecstatic and I'm mentally prepping myself.


We were so surprised when Janene brought over a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls and four puzzles wishing us "Happy Quarantine-ing".  She and Bob have been very careful in their social distancing - we do their grocery shopping for them and leave the bags in their garage.  We haven't stepped foot in their house nor have they come in ours for many weeks now.

Another March project has been to eliminate the desks in the bedroom closets of Anna and Elsie.  They wanted traditional closets so they could keep their clothes in their own rooms.  I have LOVED our laundry set-up for the past 10+ years and consider myself blessed to have had it work so well for so long.
Indoor basketball on a rolling chair - kids getting creative.
Jantzen & Anna - final cleaning at HCP
With the recent developments, Jantzen and Anna no longer have employment cleaning the HCP building.  Tanner stepped down as cleaning supervisor end of February. We will see what the future holds but have a feeling new HCP ownership will shift this coveted job to their own children (Erik's daughter is getting married soon).  It's been part of our family dynamics for ten years!
The stateside missionaries are quarantined to their apartments and doing what online teaching they can.  During this time, they have permission to call home on Mondays and Thursdays.  I'm sure Brinley loves the maturity of her parents - haha!

The kids were granted an entire week off from online school.  Quinn has been hyper-focused on getting his LEGOS organized which by default means I have been his assistant - wow!  Never knew I had the patience for this project but we're plugging along.  So far so good.  I really feel blessed during this 'staycation' of sorts and have enjoyed most aspects of this pandemic experience.  The family calendar was chalk full of commitments and everything has been wiped clear at least for a few more weeks.  We shall see what next month brings!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Glad you got to take your Moab trip. You did a great job telling how the pandemic has changed our lives. I love, love Anna's picture. How talented!