Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Good Morning!?


We had a lot of fun around our place this morning. I thought I'd share a little of it with you.

It's an amazing phenomenon to me. The 2-year old that no longer takes naps and gets you out of bed at least twice a night is STILL the first one up in the morning. Enter Elsie. "Mom, I'm hungry." I send her to get the others up while I start making lunches. Usually Anna is the last one out of bed, the last one dressed, etc. but not today. I found her lounging on the front bench fully dressed before the others even made it downstairs. My first thoughts were "Wow! We're making some progress here". Then I asked, "So, did you sleep in your school clothes?" Her response, "Yep!"

We usually read scriptures before breakfast, but when I heard Quinn crying and Elsie having 'issues' of her own, I knew that would not be happening. I tried to finish up the lunches before allowing Quinn to escape from the crib (because you really can't get much done with an infant hanging on to your legs. Yes, that is the stage we're at). Someone got him up while I finished Brinley's hair and reviewed a few math problems with her (that should have happened last night...). Wouldn't you know it? A major blow-out. Let me mention the fact that this little guy wins the 'squirmy prize' of the century. No kidding. It's a serious ordeal to change his diapers/clothing/etc.

What next? Well, we all love potty training, don't we? Especially when the toddler is struggling with #2? There stands Elsie. "Mom, I'm stinky." No kidding. She had to wait while I finished with Quinn and reminded the other kids the bus was coming. Elsie's episode made Quinn's seem like a piece of cake. Don't worry. I won't post pictures of this one. Can I just say that she does not handle wheat bread all that well...never mind that she had a pb&j sandwich yesterday. I could feel myself getting grumpy as I considered just throwing out the underpants she was wearing. Actually, she was wearing two pair. And they were new. And they were pricey. I didn't even bother with gloves because who has time? Poop everywhere. I sprayed her off in the tub while listening to Quinn scream his heart out behind the closed bathroom door.

Meanwhile, the other children were racing around to collect their backpacks, coats, etc. I don't think anybody had breakfast. Fortunately, Anna doesn't mind wearing 'bedhead' to school and Jantzen's hair is short at the moment. He did have a look of panic on his face when he finally found his school shoes out on the front porch. Hmm, he forgot about the mud he encountered yesterday afternoon. I have no idea what he wore on his feet because his regular school shoes were not an option for today.

Tanner finally took pity on his poor baby brother and tried wiping up the snot that was dripping down his face, belly, etc. Then, Anna rushed back into the house in search of her coat. It's in the car where she left it after piano lessons yesterday. She ran fast (in her Sunday shoes, of course--never mind my suggestions) as the bus was pulling away. Fortunately, the driver noticed. Yeah for me because I really didn't have time to take her to school. Quinn was hungry. Elsie got herself dressed and was digging the raisins out from the cereal. The house was/is a mess (but that's another story). All this before 8am.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the phone rang a few times because Aaron and I are now in charge of the building project down the road. We are the point of contact for all of the sub-contractors and we have been waiting on a few bids. Oh, and I also forgot to mention that Aaron has been in bed since Sunday night with influenza.

So, what did you do this morning?

10 comments:

Malinda said...

WOW! I want to bring you a milkshake (or some healthy alternative). You deserve a big treat for making it through that morning. You're amazing!

Tiffany Salter said...

I think I need a prozac just to read your blog! My hat is off to you, are are my hero!

Now that we know where we will be this summer, why don't you send a couple of kids my way for a week or two? Abigail would certainly love the company.

Melissa Sutton said...

First, bless your heart . . .
Now that I've said that, I can say how familiar this all sounds! I couldn't help but smile while reading it all. This happens to other people too? :O) Not fun. I feel for you. Glad that today was NOT one of those days for me. :O)
Now I'll just tell you what my mom always tells me when it happens to me . . .which seems very frequent. . . . "This too shall pass"

Aah, these days just help us to appreciate the less chaotic days. :O) Hopefully you'll have more of those right around the corner.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Ah, good times. Good times.

Kaylynn said...

You will be glad to have this memory written down someday when you are in a quiet, empty nest.
I was feeling like I was having a crazy day yesterday that I wanted to write down, but I didn't have time:)

Tricia said...

Oh Heather! I wish I was there to help out!! I'm glad you wrote this down. . . it is therapeutic, isn't it? Hope tomorrow morning is less memorable!

Melissa + Brett said...

OH MY!!!!! You're my hero. I always thought I wanted mine closer together and faster than they are coming, but after reading your blog, I think Heavenly Father knows I am not blessed with the patience you are!

Jackie said...

Reading that wears me out. You are my hero. I only have myself to get ready and out the door in the mornings. Loved the picture of the muddy shoes.

larah said...

Someday....far far away in the future, you will read this post and smile.

Katie Jason said...

Wow . . . and I think my mornings are busy!
You are my hero. And you managed to run the race too!