It was after midnight before Aaron finally crawled into bed and said, "You're not going to want to hear this. I just cut a hole in the ceiling of the garage....the sheetrock and insulation were soaking wet." What?!?! So much for a good nights' sleep. He had my attention. Apparently, he had gone out to the garage and quickly noticed the soggy ceiling. Doing a little detective work, led to this. And oh what a mess he made! The good news is that he FOUND the leak. But the story continues...
Little did I know what was just ahead. The morning of New Years Eve day I went to take a shower. Um, no water. Not good. More detective work. Freezing temperatures led to freezing water pipes in the master bedroom. Without going into the details of it all, let's just say Aaron/plumber/Dad (happened to be in town) spent a good portion of the day on this next project. Oh, and because it was so COLD, the vacuum pipe broke when the plumber/Aaron accidently stepped on it. The good news is that for now, the DUCT TAPE is working. But the story continues...
Driving a carpool of kids Monday afternoon, I discovered this when we were just a mile or two away from home. We should have all just walked but some of the kids (not mine) had on short-sleeve t-shirts without coats - and it was about 4 degrees outside. Needless to say, I actually drove home on the rim. It's still sitting in the garage because we haven't had a spare minute to put on the spare tire (no pun intended). The crazy thing is that it went flat immediately on the snow/ice covered road so the good news is that I was able to pull over safely. I wish the story ended here. But no.
This morning as I was getting ready to go visiting teaching, I found Quinn in my bathroom. He prefers to play IN the toilet when given the chance, so I was surprised to see him sitting on the floor NEAR the toilet looking at books. Off we went for the next few hours to spread good cheer to others. After we returned home, I fed the kids lunch and answered a phone call from a neighbor who had a plumbing question. How ironic that only moments later, I discovered WATER spraying from behind my bathroom toilet! And we are not talking a little bit of water (3 hours later). Big problem.
I soaked up every single towel in the house before this truck arrived to start suctioning water out of the master closet/bedroom.
This pic is for Dad. He'll appreciate the genius behind it. Not a lot of water seeped through to the storage room but enough that we didn't want any potential mold issues. Short of taking all the built-in shelving apart (nightmare), Aaron drilled holes for the large fans to work their magic. Keeping our fingers crossed:)
Several of these babies will be running 24-7 until the restoration company returns on Saturday. Yes, it sounds like airport tarmac around here!
Hey, the fun doesn't stop around here! This is what the older kids found when I sent them to get little buddy up from his nap yesterday afternoon. Quinn managed to get his diaper off and the rest is obvious! This picture doesn't capture the magnitude of it but I can assure you it took me hours to clean up. I had to chuckle when I heard my girls say to each other, "Yeah, that's why I don't want to be a Mom!" At that moment, I couldn't have agreed more...
Guess what I discovered Monday morning after throwing in a load of laundry? Another frozen pipe. Insulating this area was tricky because we do not have a crawl space or a basement. We paid extra for major insulation when we built this house so I was not thrilled with another mini-drama. The good news is the insulation company was able to navigate the gauntlet and hopefully, problem resolved. But the story continues...
And for those counting, that's more than 3.
14 comments:
I was counting. That was certainly more than three. I think that the Quinn incident counts as three all by itself. WOW. You deserve a break today!
Calgon take me away! Oh wait, that would require working hot water in your master bath. . .Perhaps you can get Aaron to send you for an hour massage. That might work. :-)
Wow...I think you win the prize. Which prize? Take your pick. Hope things have gotten better.
I seriously thought I was having the worst day today...and yesterday...and the day before. And then I read this and I cried for you (and because I was completely ready to cry). I am so so sorry! I will read this anytime I feel like I am having a bad day, and I am sure it will make me feel like things are pretty peachy here.
My hat is off to Aaron for drilling the holes in the storage room. As your late Great Grandmother would say, "and this too shall pass."
I appreciate her wisdom now, but I did not at the time of such events that you have recently experienced.
I would have the insullation boys inspect the whole house to make sure they finally have everyhting done.
Dad
oh man! My heart goes out to you. The good news is that means that there is nowhere to go but up for the rest of 2011! (Least I hope so anyway!)
What a nightmare. I hope it warms up so your pipes stop freezing. Hope your luck changes.
Wow! I had no idea your water issues got so bad. I agree that now you have all of your bad luck behind you for the year, 2011 should be fantastic!
Oh Heather!!! Just when you think you are all "settled" and things are going well. . . life has to mix things up a bit for you to keep you on your toes. Hastle! Inconvenience! And the brand new house already has lived in marks! (Don't you hate the first stains / stratches / marking on new stuff?) I'm sorry you had to spend so much time this week on the fun stuff.
By the way, my little brother used to play with his diaper. I still remember the nastiness of it all. Hopefully, this is the last time this happens for you. I think my mom discovered this mess many times. Oh. . . and today, Thomas did it in the bathtub and then scooped it onto the side of the tub. Serves me right for going into the other room and laying down for a minute.
Let's hope for a better week this week! I know we're not the super affectionate type but a virtual......xoxoxoxo......is appropriate I think. Sending some smooches your way!
I was thinking I had it bad with my 100 year-old house and frozen pipes and a frozen drain last week (which only flooded a small corner of the bathroom. Reading your blog made me really appreciate that it could have been a lot worse. I am really sorry that it was you who had to go through all of that.
Wow! I'm exhausted after reading this. So sorry that the adventures just keep coming. I hope things will calm down from here on out. Love you all!
WOW. So sorry that I'm speechless. Loved your Christmas card, by the way!
Post a Comment