Saturday, February 26, 2011

Name That Place..


Anybody want to guess where this picture was taken?
I'll give just one hint:
Today I heard from Sis. Julie B. Beck, General Relief Society President here.

Nope. It's not the Conference Center. It is, however, the 3rd largest gathering place the Church has created in all the world (#1 Conference Center, #2 Marriott Center). It is the new BYU-I Center. This amazing facility will seat 15,000 people. Overflow is available with the 10 full-sized basketball courts and there is an "indoor track" on one level. It's breathtaking and nothing short of a total miracle.

Aaron and I were able to attend the dedication of this magnificent building on December 17, 2010. It was a very unique meeting for several reasons. I was intrigued with President Eyring's remarks as he spoke so openly about the decisions and details pertaining to its construction. It was a moving experience as former President of BYU-I, Elder David A. Bednar, was the first to stand at the pulpit and bear his Apostolic witness of the divinity of Jesus Christ.

The humble pioneer heritage of this great university was referenced on more than one occasion during the meeting. I could not help but think of the dream/vision of my own Great-great Grandfather, Jacob Spori. As the first principal of the struggling academy (which has become BYU-I), he was privileged to 'see' the day when people and buildings would cover the hillside of this community. Could he have imagined there would also be a temple on the hill?

I have been to several dedications over the years. They are always special, but this one will be forever in my mind and heart.

And now for a little randomness from the month of February. I know Valentine's Day is old news but didn't Tanner and Brinley do an awesome job decorating for our special breakfast?

They orchestrated everything and even helped the younger kids make Valentine's for each member of the family. We had a terrific day and a great FHE!

Unfortunately, Quinn has decided to be done with the highchair 'thing'. I have my limits, however, and this smoothie could only be consumed from one location:)

Tanner samples the food at the Blue & Gold scout banquet earlier this week.

Brinley and Anna decided to dress the part as well by wearing blue and gold/yellow.
(Anna is behind Brinley with the yellow shirt and blue scarf).

As part of a child development class curriculum, the local high school offered a three-week preschool experience for a handful of children. Elsie was lucky enough to enjoy the opportunity! She has been wanting to go to school all year and LOVED every minute of it.

She shares the picture she painted on her last day of school.

Is there a sport this kid doesn't love?

He shoots and scores.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Jackie went to Julie Beck's talk too. Said it was awesome. Wow! That conference center is something. We need a tour. Your kids are so creative. I loved the valentine's decor and the fact that they "dressed for the blue and gold". It's hard for us to miss out on all of these fun activities.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Cool conference center. I had no idea something like that was being built. Funny, I don't get the Rexburg news around here...

We do have an Elder from Blackfoot here right now though.

All your kids are looking so "grown up"!

Kaylynn said...

My Mom and Dad went to that building dedication. I would love to see it someday. Cute family.

Jackie said...

I was there yesterday too! Wasn't she amazing? I should have looked for you. Ok well there were a LOT of sisters there. I loved it.

larah said...

Sounds like you have all been very busy. The new building sounds incredible. A far cry from the Ricks College that I remember and loved so well.

Tricia said...

Wow! Seeing you with all six kids!!

Tell them I think they did an excellent job with Vday decorations.