It's finally done. I feel much better now. And the kids know exactly what is expected of them. Charts are a beautiful thing!
This chart is for the absolutes of every day. No work = no privileges.
If there is one thing I feel passionate about as a mother, it is teaching my children how to work.
I recognize there is a balance between work and play but society is all about entertainment so as a parent, we have to work extra hard to counteract this environment.
And these are the 'extras' in life that allow the children to 'earn' rewards.
They put a check mark in the boxes for items completed at the end of the day. There are a lot of things we all want our children to do but not everything can be 'required' or we turn into tyrants, right? Hence, the Family Point Chart. The children are motivated to earn points because they choose the reward. The younger children's points will equal money for a prized item. The older children's points will equal miles towards a summer destination (Texas).
Once a week we count up the points and they are turned in for these pony beads - something tangible yet we won't need to hassle with money/miles until the end of summer. Mom and Dad decide how many are necessary for the 'rewards' to be given.
Everybody selected a color. And they are kept in these containers.
Of course, beads can be lost for misbehavior but we implement the 'repenting bench' first.
It always takes a while to think through the logistics of summer vs. school year schedules and what we really want our children to learn. Life gets very complicated with the constant needs and demands of six children. For me, being a parent is an intense 24/7 experience.
So far, so good.
6 comments:
Nice spreadsheet work. I chuckle as I visit my kids and see the chore charts on the fridges. You all despised them when mom did them all of the time and really made fun of them.
Are there any other parental quirks that you vowed never to do when you left home that you find yoursleves doing now?
Life is great.
Dad
Looks like Quinn is getting off pretty easy. Ha ha ha. :)
I came up with a new chore system for the summer too and so far it is working out great. I love waking up to the sound of the someone emptying the dishwasher or taking out the garbage. It is sweet to just lay in bed and listen to them work.
I don't do the chore chart thing, but if I did I would want it to look as pretty as yours. Happy summer!
I like it! Good work! I hope that it works for the whole summer. Longevity is a beautiful thing.
That is an awesome Heather-like chore chart with rewards and all. My problem is sticking to it. I am sure you are the expert.
I'm gonna have to get a copy of that chart in a couple years. :)
Post a Comment