The start of another school year (August 28)...
Tanner - 10th Grade
High School
Jantzen - 5th Grade
Middle School - Mrs. Lauritsen/Truman/Dick Team 5-2
Quinn - Preschool (2)
Anna - 4th Grade
Elementary - Mrs. Garner
Elsie - 1st Grade
Elementary - Mrs. Gentile
Brinley - 8th Grade
Junior High
Six children attending six different schools with six different start/end times = one WILD & CRAZY schedule! I spend a lot of time just thinking about how to make it all work, to speak nothing of the time spent behind the wheel... If I thought for one minute that I could take on the homeschool option, this would be the year to do it! I'd save a lot on gas money:). Living in the country means that our kids spend a lot of time on the bus. On average, Jantzen spends nearly two hours riding a school bus every day. And certain kids have a harder time focusing and using that time productively (school bus rides are notoriously noisy). If they don't take the bus then it's a 30 minute trip into town and back for me - and that adds up big time. We're still trying to work through scheduling kinks and each day seems to bring a new situation but we're moving into a routine, I think.
Tanner leaves at 7:00am for zero hour seminary. Some days Aaron drives him. When Aaron is out of town then Tanner gets to drive the Yukon. And lately, he has been able to get a ride with a friend's dad on his way into work. Unless Tanner has a car, he rides the bus home and walks in around 4:10pm.
Brinley has needed a ride to school early most days which really complicates things when Aaron is out of town or when he needs to be in the office extra early or has to take Tanner to seminary. Otherwise, her bus comes through at 8am. Depending on the time she needs to be at school, I have to (wake up grumpy Quinn) leave the house before Jantzen, Anna and Elsie get on their bus at 7:35am. That's not a good idea in case you're wondering.
Jantzen leaves with Anna and Elsie in the morning (7:35am) but does a bus transfer at the elementary school before heading to the middle school (starts at 8:40). I still haven't figured out his route on the way home but I know there are two transfers and his bus picks up Tanner at the high school. Somewhere along the route, Brinley also gets on that same bus because the three of them (Tanner, Brinley and Jantzen) end up walking in the door together (4:10-15) even though their schools aren't even close to each other.
Monday is early out day for the elementary and middle schools so the routine is completely different.
This is Quinn's first week of preschool. He was on a waiting list for one preschool so I enrolled him in the "neighborhood" preschool that Jantzen, Anna and Elsie all attended as a back-up plan. When the waiting list opened up, we were already committed to the other preschool but since the days and times didn't conflict, we decided to let him attend both - especially since he is really missing having Elsie around. Ms. Homer is M-W (9:30-12) and Burton Elementary is T-TH (12-2:15). I am a "carpool queen" where possible but unfortunately, I don't have one this year! Not a single child in our ward his same age. I try not to think about how much time I could be "saving" with a carpool. It's painful to consider how many times I traverse certain roads. When the ice starts forming, I may rethink this plan...
Well, we're getting back into the groove but time is definitely running in turbo mode.
Tanner leaves at 7:00am for zero hour seminary. Some days Aaron drives him. When Aaron is out of town then Tanner gets to drive the Yukon. And lately, he has been able to get a ride with a friend's dad on his way into work. Unless Tanner has a car, he rides the bus home and walks in around 4:10pm.
Brinley has needed a ride to school early most days which really complicates things when Aaron is out of town or when he needs to be in the office extra early or has to take Tanner to seminary. Otherwise, her bus comes through at 8am. Depending on the time she needs to be at school, I have to (wake up grumpy Quinn) leave the house before Jantzen, Anna and Elsie get on their bus at 7:35am. That's not a good idea in case you're wondering.
Jantzen leaves with Anna and Elsie in the morning (7:35am) but does a bus transfer at the elementary school before heading to the middle school (starts at 8:40). I still haven't figured out his route on the way home but I know there are two transfers and his bus picks up Tanner at the high school. Somewhere along the route, Brinley also gets on that same bus because the three of them (Tanner, Brinley and Jantzen) end up walking in the door together (4:10-15) even though their schools aren't even close to each other.
Monday is early out day for the elementary and middle schools so the routine is completely different.
This is Quinn's first week of preschool. He was on a waiting list for one preschool so I enrolled him in the "neighborhood" preschool that Jantzen, Anna and Elsie all attended as a back-up plan. When the waiting list opened up, we were already committed to the other preschool but since the days and times didn't conflict, we decided to let him attend both - especially since he is really missing having Elsie around. Ms. Homer is M-W (9:30-12) and Burton Elementary is T-TH (12-2:15). I am a "carpool queen" where possible but unfortunately, I don't have one this year! Not a single child in our ward his same age. I try not to think about how much time I could be "saving" with a carpool. It's painful to consider how many times I traverse certain roads. When the ice starts forming, I may rethink this plan...
Well, we're getting back into the groove but time is definitely running in turbo mode.






1 comment:
Wow! You are definitely a transportation sensation! This will be a memorable year! Good luck!
Post a Comment