Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Singing Scout

I've decided I write to get the information down.  Nothing fancy.  Usually not funny nor flowery.  And the shortage of time for recording tidbits from our family life doesn't lend itself to creative blogging for me.  So as much as I would like to write beautiful posts each week, I have embraced my personal mantra of "Something is better than nothing" - particularly at this stage of life!

 Jantzen is the first of our kids to sing in a school choir.  Orchestra is a big deal in this town.  Choir, not so much.  On Tuesday evening we attended his first choir concert.  He has a very nice voice and likes to sing.  I sang in choirs for many years - even travelled to Mexico and through Europe on tour with two different choirs.  I have wonderful memories of singing Christmas carols through the streets of Park City with the Murray High Madrigals, singing all over the Salt Lake area for a variety of functions and loving it all.  It's sad to say I do not sing like I used to.  Most people do not realize I "sing" - or did. Something happened to my vocal cords.  Same thing happened to my Mom.  It hasn't diminished my passion for excellent music but it would sure be wonderful to really sing again.  Someday I will.  For now, I admit to cranking up the Mo-Tab quite often around here.  It's our Sunday music.  
It was fun to watch Jantzen sing with such gusto. 


 He is a very determined person - especially with things that are of interest to him.  And that is one reason why he recently started waking up at 5:30am on Tuesday/Thursday mornings for a 6am basketball practice.  Yes, that's crazy in my mind.  But it works most days because Aaron takes him and then goes to workout at the gym.  When Aaron is out of town (like this week), yikes.  My morning schedule is already full. Oh, and did I mention how much Jantzen enjoys playing dodgeball M/W/F before school?  At least we have a carpool for that one.  But now Brinley has requested after school violin lessons (we've had morning lessons for years) because she is at school early every morning for math - that's messing with my schedule:).  I digress.

It was an action-packed week.  I did several foot zones for new clients in my "spare" time.  The kids were busy with music lessons, activity days, scouts, gymnastics, youth activities, birthday parties, etc.  We enjoyed our annual Ward Harvest Dinner at the church on Friday evening.  This is our holiday ward gathering which I like because it's one less thing on the December calendar.  Jantzen attended a Scout Pow-Wow on Saturday and is well on his way to completing a few more merit badges.  Anna had a field trip to a planetarium (she has the only teacher in the area that still does field trips) and sang "Choose The Right" in sacrament meeting today with her activity day group.  I ran the primary program practice - whew!  

We've been spoiled with some lovely weather this autumn.  Saturday morning I jumped into my car at 5:20am (painful, I know) to fulfill my civic duty of volunteering at our local Bountiful Basket site only to be stunned by the white stuff on the roads.  Darn!  Honestly, I don't mind the cold temperatures nearly as much as the slick roads.  It really slows me down and cramps my style.  I drive faster than I should because I always seem to be in a hurry.  Winter weather changes all of that - drastically.  I'm just not ready to face that quite yet.  Fortunately, the snow melted the same day.  I drive with a smile every day the roads are clear.  I don't take that for granted.

Well, that's all for now folks.  Good night.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Just keep doing what you can. I love your blogs and hearing about all the kids' activities. I'm thrilled that Jantzen likes to sing. He's a talented boy. Good luck with those schedules.

Kaylynn said...

Some day when Quinn is the only one left at home and he can drive himself to activities, you will wonder how you did it. I think Jantzen is a cool kid!

Tay and Jen said...

coming here and helping with the two kids is going to be a breeze for you!

Jackie said...

Speaking as a choir teacher now, I say yeah!! And we used to do field trips in my building but our budget was slashed. Even if the activity on the other end was free the bussing is unaffordable. I was curious how her teacher gets past the cost of bussing. I too love reading your updates.