Another great week has come and gone. Each day speeds by at an astounding pace.
![]() |
| Elsie drew first - then carved |
I really debated whether or not we would participate in the annual tradition of pumpkin carving. I seriously sat in the WalMart parking lot with a car full of kids weighing the pros and cons. For some reason I didn't want to spend $25 on pumpkins only to be thrown into the trash a few days later. None of our neighbors had free pumpkins to spare this year since some gardens tried up when the canals ran dry. Our own pumpkin patch didn't survive. In the end, our FHE tradition triumphed!
Brinley carved a real masterpiece this year. Too bad I didn't remember to snap shots of the final pumpkin projects! By the time we were done carving and cleaning and roasting pumpkin seeds, picture-taking was the last thing on my mind.
When Quinn was finally done fiddling around with his beloved pumpkin (the next day), his jack-o-latern had three different faces and all kinds of "extras". I think he used up the better portion of my toothpick supply during his creation process....
All the kids did a great job on their pumpkins and our porch sat decorated for nearly a week.
The 1st graders put on a Halloween program for parents and sang their little hearts out. I didn't realize there were so many songs associated with the holiday - Elsie enjoyed singing them all!
I chuckled a bit as she quickly assumed her "Pirate Pose" for me following the program.
As always, Quinn was my little side-kick for the day. He didn't mind returning to the school later that afternoon to help out with Elsie's class halloween party.
The children rotated through various group activities and then played halloween bingo all together. I was a last minute fill-in for another mom party helper that had sick kids. I didn't end up having to do the activity I had planned because the spider craft required lots of adult help....that was fine with me.
Check out the haul he made in the classroom - his own can of root beer! Ugh.
| Elsie - horse, Quinn - Tigger, Anna - it kept changing...?? |
Little else was documented of our Halloween festivities but we were happy to have G-ma and G-pa P arrive in time to join the kids for some trick-or-treating. We had a great set-up...Jantzen hooked up with his buddy, Landen and the girls/Quinn clipped along together while G-ma and G-pa and I slowly drove alongside in the warm truck. It rained a bit but the kids didn't seem to notice - ahhh, the thrill of the night! And each received a beloved full-sized candy bar (myself included) - that's the best!
![]() |
| Jantzen - bball player |
Tanner passed out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that came by our place while Brinley attended a party with her friends. I made the trek into town so Anna and her friend, Lillian, could stop by their school teacher's house and receive their special treats from Mrs. Garner. Add the homemade donuts from the Smith's into the mix and we were a happy bunch. The night was a success on all accounts!
Friday morning dawned bright (or not - it was dark) and early and with Aaron in Washington, D.C. for a conference, I didn't mind having the extra help on hand with G-ma and G-pa P in town. G-pa did travel south for work in the morning but returned that afternoon and took Jantzen to club soccer try-outs while G-ma P helped get Elsie to her friend's birthday party, etc. etc. We even planted a few bulbs and cleaned up the garden while they were around.
The kids loved reading with G-pa. G-ma and I slipped away for an early session at the temple on Saturday morning. While I drove the kids around for various activities/responsibilities, G-ma and G-pa prepared for an open house on their house around the corner that afternoon. We also cooked and pureed several of the kids carved pumpkins so I felt better about spending the $25... we ate six loaves of delicious pumpkin bread and a batch of yummy pumpkin spice cookies in less than 24-hours. Not bad.
Aaron arrived home from D.C. just hours before the 7am Priesthood leadership session of our Stake Conference. At least he gained an hour with the time change. He was a real trooper and managed to keep his eyes open during the general session also. The fact that Tanner was one of the speakers was motivation enough! Although humbled by the invitation, Tanner did an outstanding job of addressing the stake - with the assigned topic of "How I Can Be a Positive Example and Righteous Influence in My Home" (particularly to my siblings). This topic was specifically assigned by our visiting General Authority - Elder Allen of the Seventy.
| G-pa P, Aaron, Tanner, Heather, G-ma P |
The entire conference was excellent and the children's choir was most impressive. Anna and Jantzen contributed their strong voices to the beautiful music. Each ward primary chorister invited a handful of children (4-5 per ward) to join in singing "A Child's Prayer" and "I Am A Child of God". It was a real honor for them to be selected.
| Tanner with G-pa M & G-pa M |
| Tanner, G-pa, G-ma, Sister Renee Allen, Elder Allen Anna, Jantzen |
Following the conference, we all joined at Bob and Janene's house for a delicious meal together before parting ways. It was delightful to get to know Elder and Sister Allen - wonderful people! And thanks again to G-ma and G-pa P for visiting with us!
BTW - a few records were set this past week. First, we enjoyed the longest visit ever from G-ma and G-pa P. Second, it's been five years since we sold our first home in this area. Third, we have now lived in our current home longer than any other place we have ever lived (3 years, 2 months).



1 comment:
Those sound like good records. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment