Sunday, October 27, 2013

Work & Play

It's true.  Without pictures, I don't remember what happened yesterday.  So, this blog has become my weekly reminder of what went on around here.  Even then, if it didn't make my planner/calendar, it certainly won't be recorded here (with or without pics).  

Monday evening we did a family service project - thanks to Aaron for making the arrangements.   We loaded up our trailer with wood donated by one member of our ward and delivered it to lady living nearby.  The younger kids were especially energetic about carrying the pieces and handing them to Aaron to safely stack.  With all eight of us, we finished just before daylight disappeared.  We like to think it was not coincidence that the missionaries were visiting this humble abode at the same time we showed up with the wood.  

Tuesday evening Tanner spear-headed the Teacher's quorum activity - a leaf-raking service project for a widow in the ward with a yard full of mature trees.  Brinley invited two girls (recently baptized and a less-active member) over after school to help them with projects for Young Women's in Excellence night.  While taking the girls home, I decided to stop by the leaf-raking project and found Tanner working alone.  The younger kids and I hopped out of the car and got busy helping until some of the other boys arrived.  We were really happy to see them come because it was a big undertaking.  Amazingly, the boys got the job done - even in the dark:).

Wednesday afternoon was filled with parent-teacher conferences.  Four schools.  Five students.  Twenty-three teachers.  Yep, I kept a frantic pace trying to fit in what I could (obviously, I didn't talk to all of their teachers).  Aaron was in LA so the kids had to fend for themselves in the dinner department. The school reports were positive - and I was reminded of the great children that surround me.  And some days, it's good to be reminded of that:).

On Thursday evening, I took Anna and Elsie to the 4-H Awards Night where they collected prize money for their August fair projects (Brinley had a church party).  Hooray for that!  Jantzen joined G-ma M for a final fishing trip of the season.  Aaron returned from being out-of-town and spent the evening with Quinn while Tanner headed to his buddy's for a 16th b-day party.

No school on Friday.  Tanner did homework while I drove the other five children to our nearest "real shopping" area - 30 minutes away.  It didn't take long before I asked myself - why?  My goal was a trip to Winco for food - which almost didn't happen.  But in the end - it did.  End of story.

Friday evening - Aaron and Jantzen headed out on another scout camp with 16 other boys.  The weather was good but the sleep arrangements - not so much.  I took the other kids to fulfill our cleaning assignment at the church.  Elsie and Quinn particularly enjoyed our window-washing responsibilities.  Yeah, they were washed several times.  They took a turn, then I took a turn so everything was extra clean.

Saturday morning our ward was in charge of the Stake baptismal services (we had four children from our ward getting baptized).  Brinley and her friends played a beautiful musical number.  Then she and Anna went to clean the offices.  Aaron and Jantzen returned smelling like campfire and got busy winterizing the yard.  I spent a big chunk of the day writing the primary program.  Chores - sort of happened, I think.  Then it was time to party.

The kids always look forward to the elementary school Halloween Carnival.  Lots of games, prizes, food, friends, etc.  After Anna fulfilled her haunted house responsibilities and used up her tickets, we headed out to pick up Tanner and get ready for our next party.


Chris & Julia's 3rd Annual Halloween Party - 2013

You know the food will be good when Chris spends two days preparing it...and this is fun for him?  I failed to mention his awesome birthday (Thanksgiving) feast he made two weeks ago for the extended family in the area.  Wow and double wow.  I should have taken pictures but was too busy stuffing my face:).  I'm so glad we're related and that there are cool people like Chris and Julia that actually enjoy hosting parties.  Weird.
Bob & Janene as Woody and Jessie from "Toy Story"
Chris & Julia as Garth and Wayne
Whitney & Matt - the great Gatsby and flapper girl
We didn't realize Matt and Whitney were driving up for the party - a fun surprise! We are so thrilled with their recent engagement and plans for a December 27th wedding in the Salt Lake Temple.  Yea!!!
 
 After enjoying our evening together and making new friends, we took the kids home to get ready for bed.  Aaron and I headed to yet one more Halloween Party (adults only) where we played games and danced ourselves silly.  I had to chuckle as I looked around at church today and saw many of our same friends sitting quietly in rows with their families.  Adults just don't get to act silly all that often...but we sure laughed last night!


4 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Aren't you guys party animals? ha! Love the costumes! I can't get Jeff to dress up...ever.

Hilary said...

There are people who really do like hosting parties and making food for other people?? Yeah, that's weird.

JillN said...

That's a lot of Halloween parties in one day. Good job on all of the service projects, too.
From, Kaylynn

Kristen said...

Some people are such party animals but I didn't realize they were you.