My mom and dad were still on the cruise ship when I boarded a bus Sunday, June 1 at 8:30pm - along with 90 other orchestra students and chaperones all headed for Anaheim, CA.
It wasn't the most comfortable bed (only one full hour of sleep that night...) en route, but we survived and after MANY bathroom stops, we arrived at the hotel by 3pm Monday. Just enough time to find our rooms and get cleaned up for an evening Medieval Times dinner show.
It was definitely a highlight for me. What could be better than watching amazingly trained horses do tricks and knights fight will real weapons all while you enjoy a HUGE meal? Half of a chicken, a large rib, half of a potato, a large bowl of soup, bread and more...
AND no utensils....
It wasn't all fun and games for us - but mostly it was.
We (the orchestras) were involved in recording workshops and performances at Disneyland on Tuesday and Wednesday. In the special recording workshop, we would play part of a Disney song with a conductor who conducts music for Disney movies and productions. Then, after playing the music only once or twice, the studio would put the recording "under" the movie clip and then we would watch it with OUR recording. It was fun and I enjoyed working with the professionals and liked listening to the music we played with the movie clip. The actual concert was fun for the orchestra, too, but the California sun and a black tux don't mix. I was wearing an oven for an hour and a half.
After the playing events on Tuesday and Wednesday, the rest of those days were ours in both Disneyland and California Adventure. Because the cost of the trip didn't cover any food beside the dinner show, we were responsible for finding our own meals. We stopped at a grocery store Monday night and I (tried to) budget wisely and purchased all of my breakfasts, parts of my lunches, and all of my snacks for under $32. My shopping list consisted of: almond milk, bread, bananas, apples, carrots, jam, bagels, fruit snacks, crackers, water, box of cereal, lemonade and a few other odds and ends. I brought along some food like peanut butter and granola in my suit-case. I ate out for the dinners and some lunches as well.
While in the parks, we had plenty of time to ride the rides, watch the shows and goof off. We didn't have to be back to the hotel until 12:30am, so we took full advantage of the late hours to have fun in the parks.
Thursday was the "day off" from the parks. We slept in and then headed to Huntington Beach for a few hours. We had a blast in the water and my group even pooled our money together to rent a 4- person dune buggy (human powered). We all had fun taking turns riding around.
These were some of the people in my group. Listed left to right: Megan J., Chloe W., Annie S., Me, Caleb G., Jake R., Sam L., Haylee H, and Laura S. You may notice that I was the only boy with a swim shirt, which was a blessing. There was not a single soul in my 12 person group that didn't get roasted. I was glad I wore it and was spared from having a sore back like everybody else (which made the bus ride home miserable for those who weren't as cautious.) That night we went to the Broadway show "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". I thought is was the worst show I have ever seen. I has seen several versions in different theaters, but this one was the worst by far. They took a cherished scripture story, and turned it into a worldly display. There was not single modest costume and the over-all feeling was awful, so if you're in the neighborhood, you may want to reconsider attending the show. Friday was the last day of the trip and the final day in the parks. With no "musical commitments", it was all ours! Many people commented on our appearance and the good way we acted. When we explained we were orchestra students from Idaho, the people would usually say "That confirms a few thoughts I had.." :) After a fun and memorable last time, we packed our bags, and loaded the buses for another LONG drive. We left at 10:30pm and after many stops we made it back Saturday around 6pm. Luckily, I was so tired from the week, I slept most of the night on the bus, which I never thought was possible. Overall, the trip was a blast and I was glad I was able to go. Originally, I wasn't going to, but then after consideration, I called Mr. H. and asked if it was too late, and Mr. H said he would be happy if I came. It was a fun experience to have in High School! After making it home, it was back to reality...or rather, it was getting up early again Sunday morning and beginning the drive to Old Nauvoo....more on that later from Mom.






4 comments:
Wow Tanner that sounds like quite the trip. How awesome to see your music accompany a film!!
Tanner, thanks so much for posting your orchestra trip. Those are memories you will cherish for years to come. Sounds like you made a lot of wise choices and had fun too. Way to go!
Ah, a grocery list to make your Mom proud. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree now does it? :-)
What a great trip and so proud of your frugality! What a great group to go with...those who share the same values. Those memories will go with you for the rest of your life.
Post a Comment