Saturday, July 19, 2014

What a Week!

Bob & Janene's new house
It's been a wild ride these past six months for Bob and Janene so it didn't come as a surprise that Bob's health has been sub-par lately.  Through a series of events and tender mercies, it was recently discovered that one of Bob's carotid arteries (there are two - one on each side of the neck) was 90-95% blocked.  Cameron and Erica traveled distances to be here last Sunday with us locals. We gathered for Sunday dinner and then opened a family fast together.  LaVerne gave Bob a priesthood blessing prior to his Monday morning surgery.  The Dr. was confident in the surgery's success so now it's recovery time for Bob.  We are grateful for the children's faith and prayers and willingness to fast for their G-pa and we know the Lord heard and answered them accordingly.
Blue skies one day.  Torrential rainfall the next.
It was crazy flash-flood rainfall!
Many of the streets and buildings in town were flooded, student housing units were evacuated with some areas receiving up to six feet of water, and the university campus took a beating.
It all happened in about 45 minutes.
Tanner and Jantzen were organized by their scout leaders to help out in town with the clean-up efforts.  Many willing hands.  Many miracles.  Out in the country, our home did not receive any damage but such was not the case in town especially for the homes at the bottom of "the hill".
Life is full of surprises.
Waking up to a beautiful sunrise the next morning.
Aaron took these pictures at 5:30am.  The days are getting shorter already:).
Things settled down mid-week and life was back to "normal" for us.
Elsie blowing bubbles
"Normal" included the start of swimming lessons for the four youngest.
Quinn - taking his time getting used to formal lessons
I had to register months ago and was thrilled to get all four of the kids into the pool at the same time.   There are actually 16 different classes going on simultaneously around the R. Rapids facility.  It's our first time taking lessons at this location.  So far so good.
Jantzen and Anna are in the same class which makes it nice.  As I think about all the years I struggled with young children and summer swimming lessons, this experience has been a breath of fresh air.
Jantzen has eagerly anticipated his first opportunity to attend the temple now that he is 12 years old.  It required an early morning before work for Aaron to take him.  It's fun to watch Jantzen spend some time in Family Search lately - looking for more work to be done. 
When this kid is motivated - stand back!
Have I mentioned how much I miss Janene's raspberry patch?
Gratefully, Jackie let us come down for another picking on Friday and Anna helped me make a few batches of freezer jam.  It's a good start.
I also processed 40 lb. of 93/7 lean ground beef ordered through Zaycon Foods.
It's a beautiful thing to have freezer meals ready to go.  Bolognese sauce is a win-win around here.  Half of us like it served over broccoli or garden zucchini and the other half prefer it on pasta.
 I don't know what it is about our back porch area, but birds find a place to build a nest every year.
The fuzzy heads at the top of the nest are the babies that hatched this week.
 Not sure which location is better.  Above the speaker where a nest has been the past few years (robins), or on this not-even-a-ledge spot.  Even when we've tried to discourage the birds from building, they are persistent and continue their efforts regardless.  Barn swallows build intricate mud nests - the process is quite fascinating.  The mess - not so much.
See what I mean?
I don't think they're planning to clean up after themselves either.  And I just learned that since they are federally protected, I am not allowed to destroy their nest once it's been fully built (48 hours).  Very interesting.

No comments: