Dad's computer screen saver has been ticking away for months now - counting down until his official retirement. In anticipation of this exciting moment, I decided to surprise him by driving down with Tanner, Elsie and Quinn on Friday evening - January 30, 2015 - his last day of work (with CASE anyway). Mom kept him busy all day with realtor stuff in SL/UT county. He didn't even think twice when she stopped by Marie Callendar's (en route to CV) to pick up a few pies (said Hilary needed them for something). Of course, I pulled our Yukon into Hilary's garage so when they came by to bring the pies, Dad saw and suspected nothing. The children were prepared with balloons and "Happy Retirement Grandpa!" signs when he walked in the front door. Judging from the surprised almost bewildered look on his face when he step inside, I'd say "mission accomplished".
We promptly shuffled him back out the door to keep our dinner reservations at the very lovely "Elements" restaurant. Britton kept an eye on the cousins playing while the adults/Tanner enjoyed a fun time together.
We had plenty of 'pass the phone around the table and take a picture' moments.
Tanner recognized this as his finest dining opportunity yet (though we were casually dressed).
The food did not disappoint.
Just before ordering, Dad and I spied an evening special that allowed us to enjoy an appetizer, salad, main course and dessert for a great price. The salmon and sweet potato dish was amazing!
And the chocolate molten lava cake wasn't too bad either...
After laughing and stuffing ourselves silly, we went back to C.'s to celebrate with the children.
After laughing and stuffing ourselves silly, we went back to C.'s to celebrate with the children.
I was too full to enjoy a piece of pie but the kids were not.
Jameson and Elsie were giddy about the prospect before them.
Will it be key lime or chocolate satin tonight?
We stayed up chatting away until late and then called it a day.
Dad's retirement is now one for the books as evidenced by the time-keeper.
Then again, he starts his new job on Wednesday?
The next morning, I joined Hilary at Gold's Gym for an awesome body pump class. We were definitely the white-legged ladies in the corner modestly dressed:). Later, Mom and Dad and I explored and admired Seth and Megan's new construction home (Taylor's friends) nearby. Although I have absolutely no need to build another house any time soon, I still feel the bug whenever I walk through such projects. No doubt, I am my father's daughter.
Throughout the morning the cousins played and G-ma received her birthday zone before we packed up and headed out. We had a few stops to make in town (Old Navy, Sam's Club) and then were homeward bound. We missed having Aaron, Jantzen, Anna and Brinley with us but previous commitments kept closer to home.
Congratulations Dad!
We're excited to see what retirement looks like for you!




1 comment:
Thanks so much for your extra efforts to join in the retirement surprise. It really was fun to pull that one off! He loved it!
Post a Comment