Although it's helpful for me to take pictures so I can remember what happened during the week, with my nice camera out of operation and Aaron (and his iPhone) out of town, there are no pictures. I suppose that is all the more reason for me to sit down and type up a quick review about our first week of summer break.
In some ways, I'm anticipating a more low-key summer because we do not have big family vacation travel plans and have scaled back on some activities. This is an important summer for Tanner to work and earn money with a mission/college right around the corner. He has enjoyed some pretty amazing summer/travel opportunities but will be staying closer to home this time around. I'm confident we'll be able to find a good mixture of work and play and we do have a few activities we're looking forward to. At this point in time, Tanner is picking up hours at HCP and working through a few projects. He continues to attend the temple on a very regular basis and has been able to find more family names to do work for. He also has a good friend that has generated hundreds of family names so the two of them are quite busy at the temple baptistry. Tanner was home on Friday and we viewed the funeral services for Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Such a remarkable man of faith and love, he and his resounding voice will be missed.
Last summer was definitely fun-filled and action-packed for Brinley. She, too, is looking forward to a few adventures but will stay closer to home. While I would like her to pursue 'employment', this is a tricky age. Along with cleaning HCP on a weekly basis, she occasionally helps out at LaVerne's house and is taking an online health class this summer. G-ma M took her and Jantzen to the temple on Thursday morning and then out to Kari Anne's (the local gelato rage). Brinley is quite the party-planner and socializer which she prefers over the projects I've had her working on this past week. The garage has been swept out, exterior doors washed, cars vacuumed out, meals prepped, etc. Part of her summer responsibilities also include getting in more driving time with me...
The traditional sports seasons are winding down for Jantzen but he is looking forward to a few basketball camps and weekly H.I.T. camp (high-intensity training). He enjoyed the team soccer party on Monday, especially the left-over bag of Doritos he scored:).
Knowing how important it is to keep Jantzen busy, an answer to prayers came when an older lady in the ward called needing help with her yard this summer. It is quite the project for him and a wonderful way to provide service. Another tender mercy arrived when my friend, Alisa, told me Jantzen can now be Landon's new side-kick in the golf ball collecting/selling business:). This has been a few years in the making and we've patiently waited for Logan (Landon's older brother) to finally relinquish his post. Logan's summer employment is going to take him away and Jantzen has been 'waiting in the wings'. Basically, Jantzen and Landon comb the ditches/canals in certain areas and collect golf balls. They will occasionally set-up camp across the street from our nearby golf course and re-sell their finds at 10 balls for $1.00 unless they are the special Pro-V golf balls which sell for 50 cents each. Last week the boys went out twice and have collected over 250 balls thus far. Not sure how lucrative this venture will be but Jantzen looks forward to the hunt and it keeps him out and about. He also managed to fit in a boating trip with his P.E. teacher (Mrs. Christenson) and friends last week.
We have brainstormed various ways the children could earn money this summer. Yesterday, Anna took the initiative to make and deliver flyers to drum up some babysitting opportunities. She also attended a 3-hour "Babysitters Club" meeting at her piano teacher's home earlier in the week as she is on the back-up list to help Denae out this summer. Anna has two scheduled babysitting appointments thus far. Anna attended activity days and soccer practice and violin lessons and the movies with a friend and went swimming in the middle pond with various friends during the week. I'm happy to report that all of the children were cooperative with me as we sorted and organized clothing - one child at a time...
My neighbor's daughters (Jane and Brynn) held a "Kid Camp" on M-W-F from 10-12:30pm this past week that Elsie and Quinn participated in. I wasn't going to have them join in because I had already signed them up for a free art camp in town but the kids really wanted to be with all of their ward friends. Needless to say, they were kept busy last week. Elsie started traditional piano lessons with Annie S. (Tanner's good friend) and Quinn played in his first t-ball game. I might add that I am the coach. The city rec department was desperate - what else can I say? Being a t-ball coach this summer was not on my bucket list but we can be flexible around here:).
Besides a trip to the library, lunch at the park and swimming at the middle pond, Quinn and Elsie were especially excited about sleeping over at G-ma M's on Thursday night with cousins, Jagger and Greta. Truthfully, that was a special treat for me as much as anything since I'm solo-parenting a good portion of this month. And I got the floors mopped...
The first week of summer - so far so good!
1 comment:
It does sound exhausting. It is wonderful that Grandma M lives nearby and is willing to share her expertise! Hang in there.
Post a Comment