Sunday, July 5, 2015

Before I Forget

A few more random happenings during June...
Although I feel strongly about having our children learn how to swim and be comfortable in the water, we struggle around here.  Any one of our six kids could go out and easily run a mile, but ask them to put their face in the water and you'll get a different reaction.  Elsie is the only one who agreed to take swimming lessons this summer.  When did this become optional anyway?  I'll take on the battle with Quinn next summer (again).
Quinn and Quinn playing at "The Craze" together.
Brinley, Jett, Quinn, Jagger
We have had A LOT of cousin time lately.
Just as Aaron left town again (June 21), we added Jett (age 18 mos.) and Jagger (3 yr.) to the mix from Sunday-Wednesday.  Brinley was 'hired' to babysit the boys while Cameron was in Arizona for the week.  I was a single-parent with eight children.  It was a busy week.
Anna was a HUGE help to Brinley and took on a lot of responsibility.  The girls were being paid for this work and soon learned how much work it is to look after little ones.  They were up early in the mornings, changed diapers, helped with meals, did nap times/bedtimes, played with and entertained these active boys for 72 hours.  I was the general supervisor but these girls were committed to doing a good job and earned every penny.
I'm not sure who was most relieved when Kasey arrived Wednesday evening...:).
Brinley helping Jett on the carousel.
We were proud of Brinley for putting her social life on hold to put the needs/interests of her younger cousins front and center.  Being part of a large family provides plenty of opportunities to learn such skills, but it was a different experience looking after cousins rather than siblings.
Truthfully, Quinn was the ultimate helper.  He played so well with Jagger day after day.  This allowed the girls to focus on Jett which was full-time work as 1-year olds are busy.
Anna and Jagger
Elsie
The kids enjoyed spending time riding the carousel and cooling off at the local splash park one afternoon.  We also had lunch at the park daily so Brinley could put Jett down for a nap (in a quiet house).  It worked well since Elsie had swimming lessons in town from 11:50-12:20pm.

It took Jett a while to warm up to the idea but he became a fan of the fountains.

Jagger, Quinn, Anna

Quinn recently lost another tooth - the ultimate 'jack-o-latern' grin!
Quinn made Jagger and himself jam sandwiches for a snack just before Kasey came to pick-up her boys.  It was the last clean-up/outfit change my girls had to do...
Jett and Jagger are very sweet boys and seemed to enjoy their time with us.  I quickly remembered how challenging it is having little ones home all day every day.  Can I say how much I enjoy my current stage of life?!?
Ode to the Sunday/diaper bag.
I happily disposed of our Sunday bag (finally) this past year.
How liberating!
Tanner likes receiving his birthday gifts on his half-birthday.
And here is the documentation.  He gratefully received what he asked for - gas money!
Gift cards for petro...what a mature request:).
At age 93, LaVerne had new countertops installed in his kitchen recently.
This guy is a mover and a shaker.  Reminds me of G-pa K who finally retired then built a new home at age 90.
Brinley helped wipe things down from the dusty construction project.
Oh, what do you do with 80 lbs. of raw chicken breasts?
Restock the storage room shelves.  So glad this project is done.  Not my favorite task but the results are worth it.  Having this canned chicken makes life so much easier for me with dinner prep.  And Janene did half of the work this time around.  Angel woman!
Jantzen enjoyed attending Mickey D's basketball camp from (1-4pm) June 22-26.
Morning practices are starting up again so he has officially made the soccer to basketball switch.
See how the garden grows?
Feeling the love in the tomato department...
...and we'll be getting some yummy green beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, spinach, kale, beets, cilantro, basil, cucumbers, zucchini and squash - we hope!
We goofed a little this year.  I had the kids help me plant tighter to maximize space then label the rows but paid no attention to the watering system Aaron had yet to set up.  Needless to say, the drip lines don't curve easily and could not follow our plantings.  Oh well - something will be better than nothing come harvest time!  Of course, we could always hand water but haven't managed to stay on top of that one:).
Our landscape is changing quickly with all the new construction going on in the neighborhood.
I miss my front yard visibility of the comings and goings (i.e. looking out for the school buses, etc.).
Sunday cookie making is alive and well.
Change is inevitable.  After serving in the Primary organization of this ward for 5 years, our presidency was released since Kelly B. is moving next month.  I now rotate with Annette G. teaching the 14-15 year old Sunday school class.  I felt pretty good after teaching the first week until my own teens informed me that only 6 of the 14 youth were in class because so many were out of town.  There are 3 girls and 11 boys.  Ah yes, I remember when this class graduated from primary a few years ago...:).

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey! Your garden looks great. Kudos to Brinley, Anna and you for managing the extra boys. Congrats on the new calling. Lucky class! The chicken project was a big one and I know how much you love (NOT) raw chicken. Great job!

Tricia said...

Cool you got rid of your Sunday bag.

I have only tried canning chicken. I need to move onto other stuff soon. Yes, it is a project. Good job getting it done!