Getting ready for the kids to return to school this year has been quite the undertaking. We tried to keep shopping to a minimum but it still required a fair amount of time and money. And the school supply lists keep getting longer and more specific. I think I am finally done buying notebooks, binders, tab dividers, certain pens/pencils, expensive calculators, etc. Updating immunizations (not cool), dental appointments, haircuts, braces for Jantzen (Aug.19), 7th grade orientation day, Back-to-School nights, picture days and the annual Celebrate Youth party have all been on the schedule. It also seems like there have been a zillion other parties...friend birthday parties, Sunday School class parties, back-to-school parties, etc.
With our nice camera out of commission, I haven't taken a lot of pictures lately. Along with the school stuff, we squeezed in one more swimming lesson session for Elsie (she's made real progress this summer) and she enjoyed her end-of-summer ice cream piano social at Annie's. We finally made it to the PTO summer movies (twice) and used up our punch pass to the local water park (twice). I played in the water with the kids the first time we went but felt justified to bring a book along the second time. It was a quick and entertaining read - Crispin and the Cross of Lead by Avi. We have been known to drive around town redeeming the freebie coupons the kids collected during the previous school year and over the summer (library reading program, etc.). The kids felt compelled to pack in as much fun as possible before the start of a new school year!
I've decided it's not my favorite tradition but our local high school requires seniors to submit their own photo for the yearbook with the deadline as the first day of school. Fortunately, we found a local photographer to help us out with this assignment. The hard part then became choosing which picture to submit!
With our nice camera out of commission, I haven't taken a lot of pictures lately. Along with the school stuff, we squeezed in one more swimming lesson session for Elsie (she's made real progress this summer) and she enjoyed her end-of-summer ice cream piano social at Annie's. We finally made it to the PTO summer movies (twice) and used up our punch pass to the local water park (twice). I played in the water with the kids the first time we went but felt justified to bring a book along the second time. It was a quick and entertaining read - Crispin and the Cross of Lead by Avi. We have been known to drive around town redeeming the freebie coupons the kids collected during the previous school year and over the summer (library reading program, etc.). The kids felt compelled to pack in as much fun as possible before the start of a new school year!
I've decided it's not my favorite tradition but our local high school requires seniors to submit their own photo for the yearbook with the deadline as the first day of school. Fortunately, we found a local photographer to help us out with this assignment. The hard part then became choosing which picture to submit!
What a good-lookin' kid!
Anna shelved this sewing project for a while until we invited G-ma M to come over for a little guidance. The bonnet is done and the skirt - almost. All went well until G-ma M had to leave...why is that? Looks like this project will be shelved again:).
Quinn has Mrs. Gentile for 1st grade at the H. elementary school. He's really excited about taking a lunch and eating in the cafeteria every day. History has shown that the novelty will wear off soon enough. Having food for six packed lunches every day is a chore!
This handsome boy insists on doing his own hair. He also finally allowed Aaron to pull the 'fang' tooth in the upper front that had re-attached at an angle. The tooth fairy had to up the ante on this one. Quinn now has a 100% toothless grin.
Elsie has a brand new teacher (so very common around here!) for 3rd grade - Mrs. Lawrence.
She seems very nice. It's great to have a buddy (Quinn) catch the 7:40am morning bus with Elsie this year.
Back at the middle school for one more year, Anna is part of the 6th grade Ostermiller, Dobson and Larson team. For now, she gets to skip the hour long bus ride in the morning and is dropped off at 8:15am after Brinley goes to school. Lucky girl!
Jantzen is at the junior high school this year with classes changing every hour. His locker buddy is Max and at the moment, we have a carpool situation for transportation to and from school. We'll see how it works out as he would prefer to have Aaron drop him off earlier in the mornings then ride the bus home after school.
Brinley is a sophomore at the high school - wow! Too bad Tanner has early morning seminary and leaves early from school to go to work each day. This has created an interesting transportation situation around here we are still trying to figure out. Not sure Brinley is in a huge hurry to get her drivers' license knowing there is not an extra car sitting around...though we both wish there was:). For now, Brinley drives herself to the high school (with me in passenger seat) and then I drop Anna off at the middle school. With good weather and roads, it's a 30 minute round trip.
Last year was the precursor (Quinn in 1/2 day kindergarten). This year is legit. I now have all six children in school full-time. It has been nearly 18 years in the making. The reality is that I will only have one year in this particular situation because Tanner will leave on a mission next summer. I have always had a spunky side-kick in tow. Never 5 full hours by myself - strange! The first day the children went back to school (August 26) I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe I did a little of both:). One thing is for certain - I refuse to take this 'new reality' for granted. And honestly, I have been so busy since they returned to school, I'm hoping we'll settle into more of a routine soon and then I'll feel like I have a little breathing room. I have a long list....
Last year was the precursor (Quinn in 1/2 day kindergarten). This year is legit. I now have all six children in school full-time. It has been nearly 18 years in the making. The reality is that I will only have one year in this particular situation because Tanner will leave on a mission next summer. I have always had a spunky side-kick in tow. Never 5 full hours by myself - strange! The first day the children went back to school (August 26) I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe I did a little of both:). One thing is for certain - I refuse to take this 'new reality' for granted. And honestly, I have been so busy since they returned to school, I'm hoping we'll settle into more of a routine soon and then I'll feel like I have a little breathing room. I have a long list....
| Brinley, Anna, Jenna, Haley |
So after three days of school, it was time to party again. It's nice to have the early-out on Fridays this school year. After the kids got home, we packed up and headed out to fit in another trip to the Lagoon Amusement Park. Aaron, Tanner and Jantzen stayed home with work, soccer games and other commitments. I took the others to CV where we spent Friday night playing with cousins, etc.
| Korinne, Hilary, Anna, Jenna, Elsie |
Saturday morning we packed our lunches and headed out to arrive just prior to the 10am opening time. The first two hours are prime time at the park. It was so awesome to have G-pa P along (G-ma had work in SL) as he took Quinn and Jameson around until lunch. Hilary and I literally ran around from ride to ride with the older girls. Elsie was so excited to have me join her on the big roller coasters (my tolerance level even surprised me). After getting a few rides under our belts, we waited in line to check out the latest and greatest - "Cannibal". My girls have no fear when it comes to rides. However, as we were ascending in the darkness, Elsie started to get nervous. I assured her that she would be safe and had to chuckle when mid-ride she screamed out, "I am loving this!". She and I rode it twice:).
![]() |
| Jenna, Jameson, G-pa, Quinn, Anna |
Two hours is all G-pa needed before heading out. In fact, two hours is all I needed. By the time we finished eating lunch, the park was so crowded (all pavilions were reserved for business/employee gatherings). It wasn't fun to wait in long lines when we literally ran right through them just an hour before. We left by 3:15pm (the beauty of a season pass) and drove home in time for the younger kids to attend part of our big annual ward party.
| Hilary, Dad, Heather |
Yes, it was a lot of driving but the kids had a great time and sometimes I'm just wild and crazy like that.

















1 comment:
Wow! Your schedule makes my head spin. So glad you got to have one more trip to Lagoon and that Dad was there to help with the boys!
Post a Comment