Sunday, November 6, 2016

Happy Halloween & Stuff!

Elsie and Quinn's classes walked to the local "Fall Festival" sponsored by Treehouse Nursery during the month of October.  I was a mom-helper for Quinn's 2nd grade class during the outing.
Collin & Quinn - ready for the wagon ride


Everybody loves watching the pumpkin launcher attempt to hit the target across the field (old car).
Mrs. Ham's 2nd grade class
I attended this field trip last year with Quinn's class and the Clement's have continued to expand their operation.  Fort Cob was even bigger/better than last year and kids had a blast playing in this place.

Fairy Tale Forest

The "graduate" and "happy witch"
The PTO sponsored their largest fundraiser of the year "Fall Carnival" - October 15.  It used to be the Halloween Carnival but the last few years we've moved up the date to take advantage of better weather (for outside activities).  The kids still love dressing up in costumes and there's plenty of sugar to go around.  In fact, I can credit the homemade mint brownies for causing a 'slippery slope' of sweetness to sneak in around here!  Quinn and Elsie won lots of great coupon prizes and we took home a box of Florence's Chocolates from the raffle drawing (just what we needed...).  HCP and other local businesses contributed to this successful evening and the kids had a lot of fun.

Elsie used a 'punch' on her card for a fun hair-do
Volunteer college students help run games/activities throughout the school.

Elsie & Shaylee
Brinley - orchestra concert with Mr. Hansen as "Elvis"
I think the kids have been dressing up for a few weeks now.  I know Elsie has sported at least three different costumes!  At least the kids create their own masterpieces now...including these cute angel wings.  This is what Brinley made and wore for a recent high school orchestra concert where all the players dressed up.  It was a fun evening.

Anna - an angel
Anna has been working hard to achieve goals in the Personal Progress Program.  She was awarded several ribbons Sunday (Oct. 23) during Young Women in Excellence D.O.T.S. (Depend Upon The Savior).  Brinley has already completed the program but we enjoyed hearing how she is learning to depend upon the Savior in her own life.  Wonderful leaders, wonderful girls!
Elsie and I attended a Mother/Daughter Pajama Night where she happily painted my fingernails (never happens, you know) and ate treats.  We also listened to an impressive guest speaker remind us of the importance of "polishing our testimonies" and choosing to have faith when challenges in life arise.  Two of her own daughters have/are enduring cancer and this family has had trials but they remain optimistic and joyful regardless of their circumstances.

Nice job, eh?
Elsie made her own emoji costume this year.
Earlier this same day, Elsie attended her Act It Out group where they, too, dressed up in costume.

Rachel & Brinley - baseball players
 Chris & Julia held their 6th annual Halloween party (Oct. 29) but Aaron and I missed it because we were traveling back from San Diego.  Julia hired Brinley and a few friends along with Anna to help babysit children during the party.  The girls were well paid but pretty busy as there were over 200 guests that evening.  Quinn and Elsie enjoyed hanging out the entire time and told me all about the (3) movies they watched!  At least the girls thought to have their pictures taken at some point during the evening.  Jantzen and Quinn didn't have their mom around to insist...:(.
Elsie & Anna - emojis
I went visiting teaching last Sunday and came home to find the kids had taken it upon themselves to get their pumpkins carved.  Aaron was busy conducting PPI's and rotating through the kids.  Wow - we have entered an exhilarating phase of life!  Such independence...it's awesome.  And Quinn and Elsie did a wonderful job with their parts in the Primary Program held earlier in the day.  I was very happy to have a new Sunday school teacher assigned to help me team-teach the 14-15 year olds each week.
Anna did my hair while I wrote a letter to Tanner
Quinn - the sleepy graduate & Elsie - the emoji
By the time Halloween day finally arrived, it seemed we had celebrated all month long.
Brinley - scarecrow 
Gavin showing off his "zombie eyes" with Quinn watching. 

This is the look I got when I walked in wearing Mickey Mouse ears...
I helped out with Quinn's class party on Monday (the mom in charge had her baby two days earlier - a month early!).  The kids listened to a Halloween story, ate treats, made a craft and played the Halloween bingo game I brought.
Elsie changed her costume yet again and dressed up as a zombie soccer player.  What is it about being a 'zombie....whatever' that is so enticing lately?  She went to a trunk-or-treat with Shaylee then Aaron picked her up for a few houses before coming home.  Quinn wasn't interested in going to the trunk-or-treat so he and Aaron canvased the neighborhood - just the two of them!  Anna and Jantzen were at parties and Brinley watched a movie.  Wow.  Times are changing around here...

Only two players involved in the 'trading post' this year.  How did we get here already?




1 comment:

Kristen said...

It's fun to see the kids' creative costumes. So sorry we missed the primary program. The kids are growing up so fast.