Sunday, November 12, 2017

Family Subtraction & Addition, etc.

Last Sunday (Nov. 5) after attending our Stake Conference meetings (Aaron was released from serving on High Council - 3 years), we jumped in the car and headed to CV to attend the setting apart/blessings for G-ma and G-pa P.  We were happy to join the C. family and be a part of the special occasion.  Their inspired stake president gave each of them beautiful blessings full of insight and promise.  G-ma and G-pa are going to be wonderful missionaries and have some amazing opportunities over the next 12 months.  Afterwards, we enjoyed a yummy dinner, did a little cleaning up and out of the pantry, etc. and spent some time laughing and talking before heading back home.
pre-meal snacking
Brinley - making frosting for the tasty chocolate zucchini cake
Jantzen got a kick out of finding these in a freezer.
I zoned while AJ and Jamo danced for their audience.

We said our good-byes.  They left for the MTC the next morning.
As was mentioned in their setting apart blessings, we (posterity) are looking forward to the blessings that will flow from this unique opportunity.  It will be a different year having both sets of grandparents out serving as full-time missionaries.  But, we're grateful they are willing and able to do so at this time in their lives.  Having them in Independence, MO is the subtraction part of the equation.  The addition part came the very next day when Aaron and I purchased a 2007 Ford Escape (all-wheel drive) with 171,000 miles along with a few dents and dings.  Jantzen is days away from receiving his driver's license and with the schedule we keep and the different schools everyone attends, we decided to add another car to the family.  Just in time for the craziness of the basketball season - right around the corner.

2007 Ford Escape
I love that Elsie and Quinn can keep themselves entertained.  Little scientists testing out their experiments...

I recently received a phone call from a lady wanting to put together a competitive 3rd grade basketball team from our area.  Since we had decided to forgo indoor soccer this year, Quinn was absolutely thrilled to be available to join a 'real team'.  Games start this week so he got to open one of his Christmas presents a little early (yes, I already had them wrapped!).  Another item on Quinn's Christmas list was a basketball jersey in our local school colors (#11) - check!  Make that two gifts he is receiving a little early this season.  This comp team has legit uniforms which somehow makes this experience even more exciting for Quinn.
Christmas basketball shoes - opened early
Kamay and Quinn
There will be a lot of 'last time' moments with Quinn since he is the caboose in our family.  It just dawned on me that I attended the last elementary school Veteran's Day program on Friday (3rd graders only).  And I cannot seem to escape the fact that the patriotic feelings in my heart run out through my eyes.  Every time.  It was a very touching program.
Aaron, Quinn, Heather, Mrs. Bates
It's Pine Wood Derby time.  Quinn has been anticipating the creation of his car for months.  I'm so glad Aaron takes over in this department.  We would be in serious trouble if I were a single parent.
We borrowed this scale from the neighbors.  It's serious business.
 
I haven't been good about taking pictures of the various piano events the kids have been involved in the past few weeks.  Elsie and Anna both received 2nd place finishes in a sonatina competition last weekend in IF.  Quinn received an honorable mention.  All three of them played in Festival at the college yesterday and received high scores.  Good job kids! To celebrate, they chose to receive their own bag of Little Caesar's breadsticks and a donut (Anna chose orange juice).

Some of the recent awards the kids have received.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Congrats to those piano students. Keep practicing my darling grandkids. Wow! Another car. Looks nice. I'm sure Quinn will enjoy his basketball season. He does love BBall.