It's a new year! And I'm already a month behind on this blog - haha! Technical issues and the lack of picture taking throughout January (happens every year) has definitely contributed to my absence. I'm hoping to get back on track with the photo/computer issues resolved?
 |
| New Year's Eve - fondue pot tradition |
With New Year's Eve falling on a Sunday evening, everybody stayed close to home (played with friends/dance the night before) and enjoyed making yummy treats with the fondue pot and hanging out together. We heard a few firecrackers at midnight but most of us were already in bed asleep. Welcome 2018!

Our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, passed away peacefully on January 2, 2018 at 10:01pm at the age of 90. I relish memories of lessons learned from his stories and remember with fondness being able to shake his hand as a young child when he came to speak at a Stake Conference in Sandy, UT. I knew then that he was called of God to lead and guide in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What a blessing he has been in the lives of millions of God's children! Much has been written and spoken about him with his recent passing and the funeral services held on Friday, January 12. I enjoyed participating in the proceedings via satellite and felt the spirit of his prophetic call as he served others with such compassion and commitment to the Lord.
Called to the Quorum of the Twelve at age 36, he spent 54 years as a General Authority—including 32 years in the First Presidency and the last almost 10 years as President of the Church. He served as counselor to three Church s counselor to three Church presidents: Second Counselor to President Ezra Taft Benson and President Howard W. Hunter, and, for nearly 13 years, First Counselor to President Gordon B. Hinckley. Upon President Hinckley’s death, President Monson was set apart on February 3, 2008, as President of the Church.
 |
| The First Presidency (Eyring, Monson, Uchtdorf) |
 |
| Nephew Jordan with Elder Holland |
After finishing lunch in the City Creek area, Jordan walked outside and spotted Elder Holland walking with his wife - moments after the funeral services ended. I was surprised to see this picture in a M. family group text from Jordan with a brief commentary. Jordan couldn't help himself but stop and talk with the Holland's for a few minutes then capture a 'millenial selfie' wherein Elder Holland said, "you can tell them I'm the one without the hat!".
 |
Newly called First Presidency Pres. Nelson with Pres. Oaks (1st counselor) and Pres. Eyring (2nd counselor) |
The announcement was made to church members across the globe on January 16 with regards to the reorganization of The First Presidency. I watched the press conference that followed. At age 93, our energetic President Nelson is well qualified to take the helm as President of the Church and God's chosen prophet. The continuation of priesthood keys is a significant and sacred aspect of Christ's restored Church on earth. I am so grateful to have prophets and apostles on the earth today!
 |
| Quinn at pack night |
 |
| Aaron witnessed an accident and was able to call 911 |
It's been a fairly mild January around here but there have been plenty of slick roads even with minimum snowfall. On more than one occasion, Aaron has been able to be a "good Samaritan" and help those in need. We're grateful for the safety all our family driver's have had thus far.
Enjoying Mother Nature on a beautiful Sunday afternoon!
The annual Beaver Mountain Ski experience (thanks to the Kirk's in Hilary's ward) was attended by Aaron, Elsie, Quinn and Korinne on Friday, January 19. The kids had a great time practicing their newly acquired beginner ski skills during the evening hours. The potluck dinner was tasty too!
 |
| Quinn and Aaron on the lift |
The kids had a fun time and gained even more confidence before calling it a day and sleeping at G-ma and G-pa P's house. Because snow fell all night long, Aaron let the kids have a little cousin play-time Saturday morning waiting for the roads to clear before driving home. Meanwhile, Brinley attended a Lindsey Stirling concert, Jantzen played in a basketball game and Anna had plans on Friday night so I stayed closer to home.
 |
| Korinne, AJ, Elsie, Quinn |
 |
| Birthday dinner at Applebee's - January 20 |
With my birthday on a Sunday, we celebrated all weekend long. In keeping with tradition, Aaron and I generally use whatever gift cards we may have received during the Christmas season to celebrate my birthday dinner. And thanks to his office staff, dinner was at Applebee's this time around. We also enjoyed catching the movie "The Greatest Showman" at the 'expensive' theaters the next weekend. It's getting harder and harder to schedule our own date nights with the older kids' social schedules - ha! There's always some compromising to work through:).
 |
| Breakfast in bed - even with 9am church. |
The kids aren't thrilled when their birthdays fall on a Sunday but I thought it was great. I didn't mind spending three hours at church and having Aaron around all day to remind the kids of their gift to me (peace). They also wrote nice cards and made things. Aaron surprised me with a night away in February. It just so happened that Chris and Julia invited us over for dinner earlier in the week. Brinley made a few desserts to take along and we celebrated at their place. No cooking and no dishes. Happy Birthday to me!
 |
Jantzen made & put a smile on my face. "You're NOT 45. You're 18 with 27 years of experience" |
 |
| brownies and ice cream and/or lemon bars - yum! |
 |
| Elsie's 'spa gift set' with homemade bathsalts, etc. |
It was a wonderful birthday. I enjoyed going out to lunch with friends a few times - Wendy and Rachel are amazing ladies that I've appreciated so much over the years! Thanks all for the birthday wishes, text messages, phone calls, etc.
 |
| Jantzen - second from end |
Most of this month has been consumed by BASKETBALL. Anna made the 8th grade team and games started for her a few weeks ago. She's been sick this past week and missed a few games and days of school. We're hoping she'll be able to return to the court soon. Jantzen's team has struggled with various injuries and a few key players are out for the season but Jantzen is 110% committed to doing his best and working hard every single day. He's been a starting player at almost every game and continues to set goals for himself. The city rec league just started up for Quinn and he had his first game yesterday. He has the most beautiful form doing a lay-up for an 8-year old that I've ever seen. It's amazing what he can do when he's focused on the game and not distracted by other things.
 |
| Anna center in white |
 |
| Quinn in navy - dribbling the ball |
January has been a lovely month overall. I continue to feel stronger each day and look forward to my final check-up on Feb. 7. Then I'll be able to get a few projects underway around here (cleaning my house is top on the list). I started taking foot zoning appointments again this past week and am able to attend the temple now on a regular basis. I've been doing the curbside pick-up for groceries for a while now and feel like I've been pretty careful during this recovery period. I know I've pushed it a little but this past week I really feel like I've turned a corner. Hallelujah! I'm not very good at 'taking it easy' and my family is ready for me to be back at 100% also. I appreciate the prayers of others and know the Lord has blessed me these past 5 weeks.
1 comment:
What a lovely post about Pres. Monson and all the activities. We are sorry that Anna hasn't been feeling well. Hope that will change soon. Glad you are getting back in the groove but happy that you have been trying hard to follow your guidelines. Thanks for keeping us up to date on a "few" of the many things your family does.
Post a Comment