Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Joys of Parenting?!...

This is how our Saturday afternoon went.  

"Jantz, it's time to get on your nice clothes for the recital."  His reply, "I'm NOT going."   As his parents, we have learned that when his mind is made up, you do not engage further in such a conversation.  And so, the 'parental pow-wow' began behind closed doors.  

All right.  New plan.  Aaron will take him and the two of them will have ice cream afterwards. Hmm, Jantzen had a change of heart and found his Sunday clothes.  

In thinking about this being his first piano recital (and being the one to sit through every painful practice session/lesson/etc.), I started feeling a bit 'saddened' by missing this rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star".  I worked a babysitting plan out in my mind so I could join the two of them and then mentioned to Jantzen than I would come along too.  In his completely serious way he responded, "Mom, if you go then I won't go.  If I go then you won't go."  

Okay, then.  Decision made.  The boys went together and the rest of us stayed home (and watched a movie).  We love our Jantzen!  By the way, Aaron reported that he played his piece perfectly!

5 comments:

Jenn S said...

That's so funny. I hate to miss things like that...you are a good sport to give in and hang out at home. The battle would have continued on in our house. hee, hee

Malinda said...

I've had to develop a tough skin about the things my kids say. The other day I was wearing my glasses in the car for a minute (I never really wear them). I asked the kids if I looked cute or ugly. Emily just shrugged like, "I don't want to hurt your feelings, BUT . . ." Ben said, "you just look REALLY WEIRD!" Still, "If you go then I won't go" might make me cry. I'm glad that you were able to take it in stride.

Heather said...

Malin-Believe me, since we have lived with this child since birth, we do not take ANYTHING he says personally! Actually, Aaron and I secretly laugh quite often...I loved the glasses comments. Reminds me of how Anna reminds me how much better I look with make-up on!

Tay and Jen said...

I had to laugh out loud when I read this. That little stinker, I love em to death.

-uncle tay

Tricia said...

That is really funny! I guess the kid wanted a little one-on-one daddy attention huh?