With that sinking feeling, I slowed to a stop and sat there literally looking at the temple on my right. The police officer came to the window as I fumbled to get insurance info (only finding an expired one). There on the seat next to me sat my temple bag and a baby gift I was going to drop by a friends' place afterwards. I was dressed up and obviously running late to catch the next session but the officer was all business. As he went back to his car, he glanced at my license plate and that's when I remembered that I had not renewed the vehicle registration. The renewal card had come in the mail a while back and slipped behind the countertop into "no man's land". I had forgotten all about it until that very moment. Knowing the situation did not look good because he had clocked me going 45mph in a 35mph, I called Aaron on the cel phone to tell him of my predicament. He said to ask for mercy...I told him there wasn't a chance!
I watched the minutes clip by and felt frustrated that I was going to miss the session. I didn't have time to wait another 45 minutes until the next one because of the babysitting arrangements. Alas, the police officer walked back to my car window and informed me that the car registration had expired. At that moment, a flood of emotions erupted from me as I told him what sounded like a real story (it fell behind the counter, etc.). I had never 'lost it' at such a moment as this but I really couldn't help myself. The tears/sobs came and I actually apologized to him for being so emotional! The officer looked at me and then the words came..."I'm going to give you a warning today - Do you have any more questions?" I nodded my head and tried to mutter a thank-you but I'm not sure it even came out. The law demanded justice but he extended mercy to me.
Amazed by the miracle that had just occurred, I turned into the temple parking lot and hurried inside. I actually made it on time and worked to calm my racing heart and mind. I spent the next hour and a half thinking about the role of Jesus Christ in my life. I felt so thankful to that officer for the mercy he extended to me that afternoon. I will be forever grateful for the mercy made available through the Savior's Atonement.
6 comments:
I needed a Heather story today. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing that sweet story! The Lord is full of tender mercies, even from the most unlikely of people! ;)
I'm pretty sure cop like that doesn't exist in all of Vermont. I agree, tender mercies abound! So glad you made the session.
Oh Heather, sorry about that. I'm glad you still made it to the temple and were able to reflect on the good things of life.
Thanks for sharing! Miss you Heather!
The Lord must have softened his heart. I've broke down and cried to an officer before but have never gotten out of a ticket. Glad you made your session!
Post a Comment