Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Last Hurrah!

So, if you've read Tif's blog then you have a basic update about our latest family adventures.  No promises but I may post a few pics and add more details about the wonderful time we had in Texas this past week.  It's late and I'm tired but thought I'd mention the trip home.

You can imagine the scene.  The stares from onlookers ranged from admiration to pity and everything in between as we navigated our way through the airport....all eight of us.  Each 'duckling' strapped on their backpacks and pulled their wheeled suitcases through the maze of people and commotion while I 'wore' Quinn, tried to hold Elsie's hand and handle a few other items.  Aaron had double-duty with larger suitcases, a carseat, camera, etc.  Due to construction at the airport, there was no curb-side check-in which added to our fun.  I don't need to tell you how long it took us to go through security taking off shoes, jackets, belts, backpacks, computers and such!  And then there is always the 'hurry up and wait at the gate' game.  A few more diapers to change.  A baby to feed. The plane finally arrives.  We strategically make the seating assignments amongst the kids and wait some more.   Did I mention our flight was out at 2pm and Elsie was REALLY tired?  Didn't matter how many snacks or gadgets were packed in our bag of tricks this time around.  Aaron did his best to entertain Elsie while I had a work-out of my own with Quinn.  Then Jantzen decided his tummy hurt along with his ears (he's super sensitive to pressure changes).  

We were all happy to land and deplane in Salt Lake a few hours later.  The plan was for Aaron to take Quinn and get the Yukon in long term parking while I took the other five, picked up everything at baggage claim and met him outside in the pick-up area.  A few potty stops along the way and an overly tired toddler...but we got the luggage and somehow managed to get it to our designated location.  I was actually feeling pretty proud of myself for accomplishing such a feat when Aaron called to say the battery was dead (it was a NEW battery!).  More fun.  He would try to call my parents and hang out in long-term parking waiting for a good samaritan to come along.  That is when Jantzen discovered he left his new ball cap on the plane and was nearly in tears.  Moments later he started pointing (and I thought it was at the guy with all the earrings) for he spotted our very own Bishop Klingler with his wife and daughter. They were just returning from Florida themselves.  After noticing us, they came to learn of our plight and Bishop caught the next shuttle out to long-term parking to get his own car and meet Aaron.  Who was it that said there is no such thing as a coincidence?  Tender mercies abound!

That wasn't the end of our journey because we still had a 3-4 hour drive ahead complete with more tears, more potty stops, more feedings, more stinky diapers, more "I'm hungry's"...but we sure felt grateful for the Lord's tender mercy that evening.

Aaron boarded another plane at 6am this morning.  I remembered it was my Sunday to teach the Relief Society lesson.  And it was another party getting the sleepyheads out of bed for 9am church today.  

I think I need a vacation.  Alone. :)

8 comments:

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

You deserVE a vacation ALONE! Wow what an adventure! I hope you can take it easy this week. does that every happen??

Malinda said...

Holy Toledo! That is quite the story. I think I would have had a mental breakdown somewhere around the baggage claim part and the dead battery would have completely pushed me over the edge. I'm impressed with your ability to take things in stride and see the bright side. You're amazing!

larah said...

Wow! I haven't been on a plane since 9-11 and from the sounds of it, it is quite the feat with children in tow. I am glad that you made it home in one piece. Hope you get a little R & R after your "vacation!"

Tiffany Salter said...

Sorry for the drama going home, I should have given you some Dramamine for Elsie. I hope the new goody bags helped at least a little. It was fun to have you guys here, Abigail cried for at least 30 minutes yesterday because she wanted to see her cousins. Thanks for being brave enough to come visit!

Hilary said...

You are amazing! That would have made a terrific video. Then you could put it on amazing home videos and win another equally exciting vacation/plane trip. I agree that you do deserve a vacation alone or at least an afternoon or evening.

Hilary said...

That previous comment was made by Kristen. I'm not sure since I'm on our desktop computer how that happened. I guess Hilary must have set this up for us.

JZM said...

You have reached true super-mom ranks with that adventure!

Tricia said...

I'm feeling your pain. I'm so glad you survived. I'm sure you are still working on getting your house back to normal too after all of the unpacking. I always think of the Norman Rockwell painting on my way back from vacations.