Thursday, August 11, 2011

Back at the Other Ranch


In a flurry of activity, we loaded up the kids and made another quick trip to Salt Lake on Saturday, July 30th to attend my 20-year high school reunion.  Some day we may stay longer than 24 hours but such has not been the case this summer.


Of course it's fun to see old friends and I'm sure no reunion would be complete without a few 'interesting developments'.  I'll spare details but Aaron was amazed by the 'variety' of folks I attended school with.  (It may have ranked right up there with his Las Vegas days).


Go Spartans!


And go Spider Man!



I would know those brown eyes anywhere!



July is soccer month around here.  I thought that was the craziest thing ever when we first moved here.  I get it now.  Anna and Jantzen played on the same team and had a fantastic time (when we were in town to enjoy the game!).


Jantzen loved scoring lots of goals and we loved seeing his big grin every time he did.


Elsie was happy to have a playground nearby but would occasionally come over to cheer the kids on.


During the first week of August, Jantzen participated in a soccer camp hosted by Challenger Sports.  The coaches travel the summer teaching soccer skills to children all over the U.S.  They found our community to be a unique place as they are from Ireland and England.


Jantzen and Austin


Here we are preparing for the International Dance Festival Parade held annually on Main Street.  Too bad the weather didn't cooperate.  Moments before the dancers reached our location, a MAJOR rain storm brought it all to an abrupt end as everybody ran for cover.


But no worries.  I took the children to see a matinee performance a few days later.
Brinley spent the morning in workshops with her activity day group so she volunteered to stay home while Quinn napped.  We were all happy with the arrangement because the show went longer than expected.  


Numerous countries were represented and the kids enjoyed being exposed to different cultures, costumes, music and dance.  Each had a favorite. 


Russia took top honors for me and Jantzen.


Acrobatic dancing and funky music - were awesome!


Watching the dancers navigate stilts was cool too!


Another quick day trip -- do these antlers give you a clue?


After touring the Sky Mountain Ranch where Tanner spent two weeks, we headed on to Jackson Hole, WY for lunch in the park and an afternoon of swimming.  The Teton Pass was filled with amazing wild flowers and the scenery was absolutely breath-taking.  We're already looking forward to returning next summer to spend a little time hiking.

3 comments:

larah said...

20 years. Yep, just did that myself. A little strange to see people again but interesting. Gald you were able to make it to your reunion. Looks like you have all been extremely busy.

Kaylynn said...

20 year reunion - We are getting old!
Good update on your fun summer activities. You are lucky to live by BYU-I for fun things like the dance festival.

Kristen said...

Hope Tanner enjoyed the camp. The mountains and the dance festival both sound awesome. It sure makes me want to be retired so I can just come along for the fun. See you soon.