Monday, August 8, 2011

When Lightning Strikes...

....it can be a spectacular sight - just as long as it isn't near you or your home.

Unfortunately, we had a front-row seat last night.  Aaron and I were in the kitchen when we heard a loud pop and saw blue and orange flames come out of the ceiling all of the sudden!  It was freaky!  Yep, lighting struck.  And more than once.

Our entire neighborhood felt a great big jolt!  Some homes received more damage than others.  No injuries were sustained by people but we're looking at about $10-15K in electrical damage to our place.  The good news is that after inspecting everything at my parent's house, all we found were a few minor black marks on their concrete driveway pad.  The neighbor across the street saw it touch down and called Aaron this morning about it. We were so relieved.

Yeah, dealing with the aftermath of a lightning strike wasn't on my list of things to do this summer.  But I won't complain, because it could have been a lot worse!


6 comments:

larah said...

Wow! That sounds like it was pretty intense while it was happening. How did the kids deal with the whole thing? Glad you guys are safe good luck fixing your home.

Hilary said...

Whoa! I won't be telling Britton about this--he would never be able to sleep again. Glad everyone is ok.

Julia said...

Crazy! So glad everyone is alright.

Malinda said...

Wow! That is scary. I'm glad you are all okay.

Tricia said...

Oh man. So random. Glad you are okay.

Kristen said...

Obviously I am clueless. Tricia sent me an email about something and mentioned that she was glad our house didn't get struck by lightning. Me too! Hopefully everything will be okay at your house soon. Are you all traumatized?