Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Patriotism, Pancakes and Painting...

I love being an American!  

 For the first time in Idaho's political history, we participated in a statewide caucus last week.  I can't help but tear up a bit whenever the American flag drops from the ceiling and a full-capacity crowd joins in singing our national anthem.  The patriotic spirit is alive and well around here! 

Tanner had the opportunity to participate during the event and helped collect ballots.  
He had a front row seat to view the proceedings.

And shifting gears a bit...

Recently, we had an FHE about the relationship between service/love.  We explained that the more you think about and serve others (especially within your family), the more love (and peace and harmony...) will exist.  Afterwards, we drew names for "secret servants" for the coming week.

 Who doesn't love breakfast in bed?

 Even if it was really early...


 Breakfast was Brinley's idea - and we all benefitted.

There were lots of secret 'love/appreciation' notes in backpacks, on beds, in lunchboxes, etc.
Some did the dishes when it wasn't their turn or made a bed and such.

 This note to me is proof that somebody liked at least one meal I made during the week!

 Yeah, the haircuts were one of Aaron's contributions during the week - but not sure how much the boys' appreciated getting them:)


 Quinn drew Brinley's name so I helped him out a bit. 
Or maybe it was the other way around.


 Brinley has been wanting her bedroom painted a different color since the day we moved in (whoops - just one of our goofs...).  Our "secret servant" week was the motivation I needed to get the job done.
Too bad I couldn't catch the look on her face when she came home from school and found me nearly finished with the project.  
She LOVES the new color and it looks great with the bedspread she received for Christmas.  
 (More pics later).


 Friday night Tanner joined the Teacher's quorum for a snowmobiling/overnight camp-out activity.  Aaron took Jantzen and Anna to an orchestral debut of "Sacred Music" by Newell Dayley - a concert at BYU-I.  The other three decided to hang out at home with me while I finished painting.


Jantzen played in his final basketball game on Saturday.  
The team ended the season - undefeated!


Late Saturday afternoon (after Tanner returned), we loaded up for a quick Utah trip for Jagger's baby blessing (cousin).  Mom and Dad are always such great sports when we crash at their place - and the early St. Patrick's Day meal was yummy! 

We have had a bumper crop of babies join our extended families in the past year and this was the first baby blessing we have been able to attend.  We enjoyed visiting at Cameron and Kasey's place afterwards and stopping at Bonnie and Bryant's on our way back home.

 I think Lillian and Anna were playing 'robots' - who knows?  

And it was quite the process getting Quinn's helmet just right.
After several attempts by various adults, he finally gave up and decided to be satisfied.

 Garrett and Jantzen

Breanna and Tanner 

We had a fun weekend and would have enjoyed staying another day (since the kids didn't have school on Monday - again) but with Aaron's insane work load right now, we had to head home.

Daylight Savings - spring forward - is just plain cruel.  Who wants to go to bed when it's still light outside and what kid wants to get out of bed in the morning an hour earlier?  At least we had one buffer day before facing reality today.  And that's another story...

5 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

I have to say that I'm impressed with your blogging. You've been rocking it and are doing better than me. Well done, lady. Can't believe how grown up all the kids are!

Bonnie said...

It was great to see you all! Thanks for stopping by!

AaronM said...

Great post sweetie! Love you. - Aaron

Kristen said...

It's an awesome post. We loved having you crash in on us. And I love the color of Brinley's bedroom. The secret servant idea was great too. You do a lot of fun things! And everyone is sooo busy! Good job!

Stephanie Marcum said...

I do love that they don't ever change the time here. Jared and I always agreed that they should never change back in the fall. Just keep that time all year round but we don't have a say in those matters.