Sunday, February 10, 2013

Small and Simple Things

I've noticed a pattern in our family picture taking/blogging/journaling over the past few years.  The first quarter of the year gets very little documentation.  I have a few theories as to why such is the case, but regardless of the reasons, I'm going to do a little better job.

Everybody loves summertime and all of the excitement and energy the warmer weather brings (at least for those of us in cooler climates).  But the winter season has a lot of benefits too.  As much as I like a beautiful yard and garden, not having to maintain one in the winter provides 'extra' time to take care of the indoor stuff.  Slowly but surely, I've been organizing little nooks and crannies and putting to good use the containers Aaron gave me for Christmas.  And that feels awesome.

We have rolled out (once again) our latest and greatest point system with the children.  After another family pow-wow, we are off to a fantastic start.  Seriously, I've lived long enough to know there is no perfect system and there are kinks to be worked out along the way.  Perhaps it's because we have worked through so many charts, programs, systems, etc. that I'm feeling more confident in the prospects for success with this one.  It's been a long time in the making and it just feels like a good fit for this time and season in our lives.  Ironically, it's not all that different from what we did this past summer, but a few things have been tweaked and the kids are getting older.  This means they are more motivated to earn money - especially considering what we require them to pay for.  The expectations have been set and I'm reminding myself it's not my job to 'nag'.  What freedom, eh?

Although I remember having various people join us around the dinner table growing up (actually, it was more like a hotel at times), Aaron and I haven't actively invited others over all that often - outside of family.  Let's be honest.  With a brood of youngsters, mealtime has often been rather chaotic.   And besides, I don't consider myself a fabulous cook and have never been one for entertaining/hosting.  However, now that the kids are getting a little older, it's time to break out a bit.  Recently, we were able to have an outstanding set of missionaries join us for dinner.  Because they cover two Stakes, we have never had the opportunity until this month.  Additionally, on Monday night, we invited a few boys in the ward over to join us for dinner and FHE.  Their parents were out of town and they added a lot to our evening.  We're going to make some new traditions and be a bit more social:).

I have been doing more with foot-zoing and it feels great to help people in this way.  One man came with some back issues that we worked on.  He returned the next week and said he's been sleeping better than he has in a long time.  And his back has improved.  There have been other great experiences and I'm thankful for that.

A member of our ward recently underwent a serious operation.  Because Anna and Elsie have had him as a primary teacher, we called him the day before the surgery so the girls could offer words of love and encouragement to him.  All of the children made Valentine's/Get Well cards for him and we put them in a big envelop and delivered it to his mailbox.  It feels wonderful to serve others in such small and simple ways.

Aaron and I enjoyed attending the temple together and taking along family names this past week.  Names for a brother and his older sister.  They have been waiting a long time.  Serving in this capacity is most spectacular because so many benefit at the same time.  I'm so grateful for the convenient access we have to a House of the Lord.

Today we enjoyed a very special ward conference and had the Stake President (Bob) join us for dinner - (Janene's out of town;)). This evening, Brinley, Aaron and I were able to attend "New Beginnings" at the church.  At this Young Women's meeting, Brinley received her first value ribbon.  It was wonderful to hear her share what the Personal Progress program means to her.  And Aaron had the assignment to address all in attendance.  I felt so happy to be part of such a wonderful family -  dedicated to serving the Lord in whatever capacity is required.

This month in our family - we are focusing on the topic of LOVE.  And service is LOVE in action.  These moments haven't been captured with a camera, but they are hopefully being 'written in our hearts'.


3 comments:

Malinda said...

I love this post. You have an amazing family! Our chore program needs to be revamped too. It's funny that I always think I've perfected it with my latest edition, but it never lasts.

Kaylynn said...

That is a true journal entry that captures this time of your life. You are blessed.

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing your family plans. You have such a terrific family and I truly appreciate all your efforts to live Christ-like lives. Love you all!!!