Sunday, June 2, 2013

Comings and Goings

Smore's anyone?
 Memorial Day 
It's amazing to consider the fact that Aaron and I could drive about an hour north and an hour south (or so) and visit the cemeteries of ALL our deceased grandparents and great-grandparents.  One day we'll do just that - but since Aaron had to work, we only had time to visit our local cemetery with the children this year.  It's something most of us enjoy doing.

 A little FHE outside where we reviewed our theme for the month of May - "Kindness & Friendliness" followed by the kids' favorite part - the treat.
 Quinn & Elsie
 Jantzen
 Wednesday morning (5:45am) Tanner journeyed with fellow classmates to spend a day at the Lagoon Amusement Park in Utah.  This 'end of the year' opportunity came with a price tag that Tanner assumed some responsibility for.  He wanted to maximize his investment to the fullest (must be my son) but soon realized his two buddies, Isaac & Ethan, didn't share his same enthusiasm.  What? You don't want to run from ride to ride??
Hmm, I wonder if they had to pay their way?

We made arrangements for G-ma P to pick him up that evening where he stayed the next day.  The two of them had a grand time together - visiting IKEA, Scheel's, doing temple work at Oquirrh Mountain and Draper temples, eating at Golden Corral, staying up late to watch DIY channel - a first for G-ma, etc.  I arrived Thursday night (with Brinley, Anna and Elsie) for a Friday 8am dental appointment to finish the crown job in my mouth.  We squeezed in a few errands and a few pool swims before driving to Cache Valley where we spent Friday night.  It was a 'free-for-all' in the neighborhood there - complete with a giant bounce house and outdoor movie night for all the kids on the block (last day of school).   My kids were up late but had fun with C. cousins.  The next morning we helped move boxes, unpack boxes, and wipe down a few cupboards before heading home.
Meanwhile....
It'll be another four years 'til we meet again...
Aaron, Jantzen and Quinn remained at home and attended Jantzen's last Pinewood Derby.
We are not known for producing prize-winning cars, but Jantzen placed well this year and was very excited with the results.
And it was the coolest looking car of the evening...
 The next night, Aaron took Jantzen and Quinn to the annual Father & Sons Camp-out.
 Perfect weather.  Great turn-out. Friends with a motorhome. Amazing food.
Life is good.
 Except when posing for a picture...

The rest of Saturday was filled with more family projects.
 Classic.  Aaron giving instructions.
 Some were more excited about this project than others and this picture sums it up pretty well.
The 'dangling carrot' - teenage social life:)
 Shrubs in the front beds around the house.   Thirty-two of them. 
 Without Tanner's extra help, I don't know if we could have finished the project in one day. 
 Everybody helped dig a few holes but Elsie especially enjoyed helping me fill them back in.
 We had enlightening conversations about dirt vs. soil.
 Making progress in the yard...
...one year/project at a time.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Excellent summary! Good job sweetie. I forget sometimes how busy we are. Makes my head spin. That was the coolest Derby car but perhaps some other fathers would disagree. :) I finally "helped" create a winning car...happy day! Special thanks to the "Derby Retired" fathers who gave me a few pointers on creating a winning car. Who knew it was such an art. I obviously didn't with the first 5 cars. :) Love you!

Tiffany Salter said...

The yard is looking great! Good job everyone.

Malinda said...

I love reading your updates. You are one busy mama. The derby car looks awesome and I'm super impressed with 32 shrubs in one day. We are just entering the phase where the kids are truly helpful with such projects and it is pretty wonderful. :)

Kristen said...

Wow! I'm impressed by 32 shrubs in one day! I loved your visit, your help with the kitchen and especially my time with the kids and the day with Tanner. I just love your kids!

Heather said...

whooo! I was so happy shen I got that poster. - jantzen