Sunday, August 18, 2013

Little Projects

When I learned my friend, Rachel, would be demolishing my great-grandmother's house (Annie Spori Kerr) in order to built a 5-story student housing complex, my own mom enlisted our help in securing a few keepsakes from the property.
 Original doorknobs - snagged five sets so each of my mom's siblings could have something from Grandma Annie's place.  And I found a tall gentleman in the area that obliged to balance on this cinderblock and take the house number off as well.
   As far as we can surmise, this is also original to the home as evidenced by the way the numbers were made by a hammer and back of a nail.
 May seem strange, but we had to pay to have Aaron remove a few windows.  People like to take stuff from old homes and repurpose it.  Perhaps you'll see these windows hanging on the wall of Mom's place with her own family pictures creatively displayed.
 What a guy!
 Remember that quick camping trip Aaron took with the kids?
Well, I had plans of my own - but they weren't so quick.
 Painting our bathroom has been on my "someday list" for a long time.  Truthfully, with all of the edging involved, I knew it wouldn't exactly be a little project.  And it wasn't. Aside from all the taping/prep work, getting the color just right proved to be a real challenge. And with our heavily textured walls, I ran out of paint after the store closed for the weekend.  What I hoped to complete while the kids were gone (it's hard to paint with constant interruptions), turned out to take me several days:).  But, I'm happy with the results!
It seems we ate more fresh raspberries and made less freezer jam this year. We did, however, bottle 14 quarts of green beans after an impromptu phone call from a neighbor yesterday.  Her garden is overflowing with beans so we (Brinley, Anna, Elsie, Quinn) started picking.  In the end, I sat alone on a turned-over white bucket in the heat of the day (only time we could eek out of our day for this chore) - bees buzzing around me - picking as fast as humanly possible.  These projects always take more time than you think so I was late for our dinner plans with family in town, but there is a sense of satisfaction seeing those jars lined up on the counter at the end of the day.  

I'm sure we could have more beans but I want to save my jars for applesauce yet to come...

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Impressive! You are all amazing. Thanks, Aaron, for removing the window.