Friday, August 23, 2013

The Irony of Blogging...

This week I couldn't help but chuckle at the incredible irony that exists in this most amazing world of blogging/Pinterest/etc.  We all know the realities of life because we are experiencing them daily.  And yet, after spending five minutes online looking at the latest and greatest in whatever our area of interest, (if we are not mindful/careful) we can be left feeling overwhelmed, inadequate, behind-the-times, envious and so forth.  What a gig!  Of course, we can also benefit tremendously from the information shared and more than once I have felt inspired toward greatness as a result of reading a particular blog.  Such is our online world!

For those that follow FB, you may have checked out our laundry room which was featured on a popular DIY site www.chrislovesjulia.com. earlier this week.  Since I'm not much for FB, I thought I'd share the "rest of the story" with the few that follow our family blog.

Now that Chris and Julia (Aaron's brother/wife) are settling in our neck of the woods, we often enjoy Sunday dinners together.  With Bob and Janene in Hawaii (again), we hosted this past Sunday.  After our yummy meal, Julia and I starting chatting and walking around the house looking at paint colors - ya' know, the things we like to do together:).  I had some clothes to pass down to Greta and while chatting in the laundry room, Julia determined she wanted to feature our functional laundry room on her blog some time.  I laughed and said, "Sure, whenever".  Later than night, Julia sent me a text asking if she could come the next morning to take a few pictures.

Monday morning rolled around crazy as ever and I was out and about for various activities - which included driving into town on a semi-flat tire (yikes) - but that's a story for another day.  Anyway, after trading Aaron cars at his work and leaving him to "fix the problem", I picked up Brinley from violin lessons and pulled into the driveway at the same time as Julia.  We cruised upstairs and she started snapping away with her fancy camera while I recounted the crazy morning.  When she said, "Ok, stand there because I want to get you in a picture" - I laughed!  I had not even combed my hair much less put on any make-up for the day so the last thing I wanted was for my picture to be taken and posted on a blog with thousands of viewers.  Who can say no to Julia?  And since Jantzen and Elsie were in the vicinity, they jumped in for good measure.

I think Julia did a fantastic job featuring our laundry room as she is such a naturally talented writer/artist/blogger/etc.  Still, I couldn't help but laugh at how "perfectly portrayed" it appeared online.  Never mind the broken garage door spring we finally had repaired last week ($183.72) or the maintenance issues that arose with the Subaru ($631.41) nor the bill we accrued for having to replace all four tires ($1011.14) on our Yukon later that same day!  Yeah, and we didn't even buy the really nice tires. SUV car tires are not cheap! I just love auto/home maintenance surprises that pop up just as I'm writing out checks left and right to register the children for school (whatever happened to free public education anyway?).  All that aside, I do appreciate and LOVE my laundry room.

Ahh, the irony of blogging...

1 comment:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Sorry to hear about the garage door and tires! We just replaced our car tires this week too. Not fun.

I don't know about you, but I never equate perfectly wonderful laundry rooms and/or blog posts (or fill in the blank) with a perfect or easy life! Haha!

We miss y'all!