Sunday, November 9, 2014

Changing Seasons...

We've enjoyed the balmy weather this fall.  It's been absolutely glorious!  I haven't taken a single day for granted - just knowing what's around the corner.  Reluctantly, the girls helped me pack up the summer clothes yesterday (yes, that's right - on November 8!).  Quinn insisted on wearing shorts and a t-shirt to school on Friday.  I'm afraid harsh reality will be knocking at our doors all too soon.  Aaron checked the upcoming forecast.
A few weeks ago, Tanner opened the front door and found this colorfully wrapped gigantic box waiting for him.  Like the Russian matryoshka dolls, each box contained a smaller box to be unwrapped.  Eventually, Tanner came upon a book containing clues that led him to the letters of a girls name.  It took him some time to get it all figured out because he didn't know her middle name. 
Annie B. and Tanner -  flapper girl/guy at the "Fall Ball"
Tanner has now been out with the two Annie's at the high school.  Both top notch gals.  Annie B. is a senior and they have had early morning seminary together a few times.  She only attends school half of the day because she practices the piano 3-4 hours a day.  When she came to pick up Tanner for the date/dance, I invited her back anytime for a personal concert.  I heard her perform a few years ago and she is crazy talented! 
Anna, Amber, Elsie
The kids were pretty excited to have their former (and favorite) primary music chorister stop by for a little visit last Saturday.  Dave and Amber were in town from Arizona for a days and squeezed in a few minutes with us.  We sure miss having them around the neighborhood/ward but know they'll pop in now and again with children attending college here:).
 Janene helped me cut up 40 pounds of chicken earlier this week.  It wasn't nearly as time consuming or messy compared to salsa or applesauce, but it's not my favorite thing to do.  Hopefully, these 38 pints will last until spring or until chicken goes on a screaming sale again and I have empty jars available.  I'm clean out of canning jars and don't want to buy more. 
Brinley made this for a masquerade party her friends put together last Friday night.  
There seems to be a party every weekend.  They are quite a social bunch.

Aaron has been a dedicated ward mission leader and we enjoyed participating in two convert baptisms last Saturday for Madison and Skyler K.  Along with feeding the missionaries more often than usual, Aaron invited a fairly new-to-the-ward couple (Richard's) to join us for Sunday dinner last week.  Because we often have Sunday meals with extended family, I haven't been pro-active in extending invitations to other ward members.  (And since I cook out of obligation and not out of passion and feel no lack of social interaction in my life, dinner parties generally aren't 'my thing'). We enjoyed our evening together and it was a good reminder of the importance of moving out of our comfort zones occasionally.  

Speaking of comfort zones, I was invited to speak at the Saturday evening session of Stake Conference last night (yes, again).  The First Presidency recently extended the invitation for ages 12 and up to attend so our three oldest joined us.  The theme for the evening session was JSM 1:22 "For in those days there shall arise false Christ's, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders, insomuch, that, if possible, they shall deceive the very elect, who are the elect according to the covenant."  It took a lot of brain power and inspiration to prepare for this assignment and it finally "felt right" only a few hours before the meeting actually started.  The Lord blessed me greatly and I'm very thankful for His guidance.  We enjoyed Costa Vida afterwards:).

With the changing of seasons, comes a change for Aaron.  He was set apart today by his father as a member of the Stake High Council.  His responsibilities will be many as our stake presidency expects a lot from their high councilmen.  I've certainly enjoyed having Aaron around a bit more on Sundays and on the bench during sacrament meeting these past 18 months but it's time for us both to roll up our sleeves once more. 



2 comments:

Jeff & Liberty said...

Good luck to y'all with Aaron's new call.

Kristen said...

Way to go with canning chicken. What a job! I am impressed. Best wishes to Aaron on the change.