Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Rest of October

A day after we returned from Florida, Quinn's 1st grade class took a field trip to a nearby pumpkin patch.  Although I felt 'behind' from being out of town, I decided to tag along. Field trips are rare (unless you have Mrs. Garner) and my field trip days are numbered with Quinn as the caboose.
We walked through "Fairy Tale Forest" and reviewed the stories of Three Little Pigs, Goldilocks and the Three Bears and Little Red Riding Hood.
Jensen, Quinn, Kai
The kids loved the miniature props and buildings depicting the stories.  The Clements' family worked to prepare for a special Fall Festival all summer long.  What they have created on their property is pretty amazing.
Collin, Brock, Quinn, Aiden - I think.

Quinn's 1st grade class
The weather was perfect for our hay ride through a pumpkin patch.
Max built this pumpkin launcher himself.  I've never seen anything quite like it.  The kids squealed with delight watching the pumpkins shoot out at the distant target of an old car in the middle of a huge field.
Time in the corn box.
Ahh, to be a carefree kid again!
Anna finished up a fantastic fall season of soccer with Coach Fullmer.
Somehow we missed snapping pics of Jantzen's team with Coach Stroebel.
Anna T., Lillian, Anna, ?, Lacie, ?
With one available Saturday and the much anticipated desire to use our Lagoon passes one last time, I loaded up the three youngest and drove south late Friday afternoon.  Jantzen helped with the Scouting for Food drive Saturday morning and Tanner and Brinley had stuff so I left them home.  We had fun spending the night at G-ma & G-pa's place before driving on to Lagoon in the morning.  Bonus -Quinn and Elsie were able to pick up "warm costumes" for Halloween.
Steve, Kristen, Heather - selfie
Even before the park was open, we went straight to the Cannibal line and it paid off nicely as we were toward the front and didn't wait long at all.
picnic lunch at the park
Once again, the first hour in the park was key.
We squeezed in different rides and checked a few favorites off the list.


We enjoyed our view of autumn leaves and the cooler temperatures.
The four of us stayed together.  Anna wasn't so sure we wanted to take the time for Dinosaur Drop or Ladybug Bop but afterwards decided they were actually very cool.  I completely concur - my personal favorites (besides Cannibal) are in the kiddy zone.
By 2pm, the weather had shifted (rain) and the lines were crazy long so we headed out.
But not before posing for a few pictures...


Other than the decorations and a few costumed people, the "Frightmares" experience was mild for us because we left before it all got started.  Elsie was disappointed by that but Quinn wasn't in the mood for long lines and rain.  After visiting and charging my phone at Bonnie and Bryant's (left charger in CV), we headed to the airport - anxious to see Aaron again!  His flight arrived after 7pm and we grabbed a bite to eat before driving home - it was a late night.  Unfortunately, Anna, Aaron and I (ate at the same place) managed to endure a nasty case of food poisoning the following few days.  I was really glad Quinn and Elsie ate something from a different establishment.
Cleaning up the garden and preparing for colder weather...

I will miss these beet greens - they've been a nice addition to green smoothies.
After making batches of salsa, I blended and froze the rest of the tomatoes.  I'm done canning for a while.  Our green tomatoes will ripen in time.  We had our best crop ever this year.
Jumbo size swiss chard.
Love sweet garden carrots!
Elsie picked this big one and wanted a comparison picture.

After working in the yard (final mow, etc.), we donned costumes and headed to Chris & Julia's house for their 5th annual Halloween party (Oct. 24).
Brinley and Aubrey
Elsie - pepper, Anna - salt
Salt-n-pepper shakers.
Quinn, Jagger, Jett, Cameron
Inspired by the shows we saw in Orlando, Quinn put together this "Indiana Jones" costume and wore it nearly every day.  He also wore a brown jacket to complete the look (not in pic).


My safe version of an axe...
A lumberjack and his bearded wife.
Our kids were mortified...


Stopping for gas - another embarrassing moment for the kids...
Aaron, Brandt, Mark, Erin
After Chris & Julia's party, we took the kids home and helped them get to bed before heading to our neighborhood adult Halloween party.  Two in one night, again.
There were different categories that everybody voted on and Aaron brought home this prize.
Quinn - horse & Elsie - Indian girl
My children seem to wear multiple costumes every year.  The younger kids are low-maintenance.  These were worn to school.
Madison, Aubrey, Brinley
Brinley - a beautiful Belle with her friends.
(I didn't get a pic of Anna in her Monster's Inc. costume or Tanner in his owl costume).
 The 1st graders performed a delightful Halloween program for parents & grandparents on Friday.
G-pa & G-ma with Quinn 
Cutest horse around
After Quinn's program, I helped with the Halloween party in Elsie's classroom of 3rd graders.
I found free bingo boards online that I had printed and laminated.  I don't stress when room moms start calling for help because I can be the bingo game mom for any holiday party now.
 Aaron's flight arrived in SL at 11:30pm so he was home by 3am (Sat.) and up a few hours later to conduct stake baptisms.  The poor guy was pretty sleep deprived but still managed to help the kids carve pumpkins before taking them out for trick-or-treating.
Carving pumpkins was definitely on Elsie's "to do" list this Halloween.
 She ditched the Indian costume in lieu of something warmer - a dolphin.
The weather turned windy and cold on Halloween night but these two stayed cozy in these costumes from G-ma P's dress-up box.

Multiple parties for the older kids and the high school date/dinner/dance for Tanner...
 Tanner was asked by Annie S. to this girl's choice dance.
During the flurry of activity, I managed to get my Sunday school lesson ready.  The extra hour of sleep with daylight savings was mighty nice.
We had no idea Jantzen could create like this.
He drew this for a recent project in his 7th grade art class.
Blew us away!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

As usual, you all amaze me. I am so looking forward to spending time with you all in Idaho over Thanksgiving!