Quinn is scheduled for surgery this coming Thursday to take care of the submandibular duct obstruction in his mouth. He was born with a fluid-filled sac type thing under his tongue and after consulting various doctors, we feel confident in proceeding here at home without having to travel to Primary Children's Hospital. The technical term for the procedure is 'marsupialization of the duct' which means they will basically make a 'drain' where one did not develop. The kids refer to Quinn's growth as a 'bubble' which is nicer than saying that he has 'an alien-looking double-tongue'. It has gotten so large that his tongue sits at an angle! Our greatest challenge will be getting him to nurse well after the surgery. The hope is that I will not be spending HOURS a day feeding him because he'll be a more efficient eater without the bothersome 'bubble' interfering. He's been a trooper.
We are turning the colicky-corner with this little guy and once he recovers from the surgery, we may be able to get back on our feet. It's been a wild and crazy summer for us on many fronts and I'm looking forward to having a boring life (not possible, I know). Who knows...I could become a regular blogger?! Now that may be taking things too far...
On another note, we received the sad news yesterday that Jantzen's best buddy, Jace, was diagnosed with leukemia late Friday afternoon. He was at school earlier this week. He is now at Primary Children's Hospital where the past 36 hours have been a flurry of medical procedures. He is one very sick boy. We've been following his story at www.ironmanjace.blogspot.com and have shed a few tears along with countless others. It seems to really hit home when you have a child the same age. Jantzen's prayers have taken on an added measure of faith as we include Jace and his family. I know the Lord is mindful of them as He is of each of us.
8 comments:
Wow! I hope that you guys get feeling better and that surgery for your little guy goes well too. Good luck with EVERYTHING! Glad to see a post from you too!
It just doesn't seem fair when little kids get as sick as Jantzen's friend. I am sure that your prayers are being heard. Keep the faith!
Good luck with Quinn's surgery. I'll look forward to your new "boring life" and "frequent posts!"
We'll say a prayer for Jantzen's pal in his difficult time!
Wow, it sounds like life has been crazy at your house. I was having a little "I'm overwhelmed" pity party this morning, but I'm feeling better after reading your post . . . no sickness, newborns, or surgery at this house. Good luck with all of it! :)
Heather we definitely need to talk! Isaac has a similar condition. He has a growth on one side under his tounge that is called lymphangioma. He will be having a surgery too, but they are still trying to determine how best to take care of it. Good luck with everything. I will call you soon.
Good luck with Quinn's surgery. Our prayers are with your family.
We also will be praying for you guys and for Jace and his family.
Good luck to little Quinn. He is such a sweet little guy. I too will be praying for him.
I hope your family is healthy now! I've been cleaning up throw-up this week. Always a treat. I hope Quinn's feeding is going better!
Post a Comment