As I previously mentioned, I thought all was well with my kindergartener after the "cry-fest" we enjoyed together. Just as I finished posting "It's a Hard Knock Life", she walked into the kitchen wearing her winter coat and threw her arms around me. She looked up into my eyes and said, "Mom, I'm moving to another house. Which one should I go to?" She was totally serious and seemed somewhat relieved that she had figured out how to make all her troubles go away.
We talked about the various neighbors around and decided on the Fuller's since their house was the closest and she need not pass by any scary dogs en route. Her rolling suitcase was packed. I made her a pb&j for the road since it was lunchtime. She grabbed her snowpants and a few other belongings before stepping out into the snowy world. I gave her a hug and wished her well in her search for a 'better life'. (Elsie wanted to join Anna but we turned on the "Wiggles" to distract her for a few minutes.)
Watching from the window, I saw a few hesitations, but she continued through the snow and walked up the neighbors' driveway pulling the suitcase and lugging her other belongings on her arms. Of course, I was already giggling on the phone and informing my neighbor of the surprise she would soon find at her door. Our game plan = Work, work, work. No treats. No fun. No party. As my neighbor opened the door, Anna politely asked, "Sister Fuller, can I live with you?"
Obviously, I have the most amazing neighbors. Sister Fuller was a great sport to go along with the gig even though I know it went against her nature NOT to lavish the love and adore this sweet little girl. I'd check in on the phone every now and then to make sure Anna had another job to do. At one point, Jantzen even ran her homework over to her. She did dishes, vacuumed, helped with laundry, wiped baseboards, ate carrots, drank water, etc. Sister Fuller and I had formed a back-up plan in case Anna never did feel the need to return home:) Nonetheless, after FOUR hours, Anna decided she had had enough and was ready to come back. We talked about what life was like at the Fuller's house for a bit and then Anna informed me that "When I said move to another house, I just meant for a few minutes." Oh, thanks for clarifying...
11 comments:
Hehe. That's awesome. I'm glad you recorded it for her to review in the future!
You are such a good mom, Heather. These are the stories that your kids are going to sit around the table and laugh about in 20 years.
What a great story and what a great neighbor! I love it!
That is awesome! Good job Sister Fuller!
That is hilarious!
I remember the days when my children wanted to move out. The sad thing is I usually wanted to run away too!
I'm seriously about to pee my pants I'm laughing so hard. I think that is the cutest story I have ever heard. I thought Gma Marcum helping my mom to pack for her runaway was a good story, but this is hilarious. I love your neighbor too. 4 hours is quite a long stint away from home for a kinder. :)
You are a fabulous Mom! That was fantastic. You won't be sorry that you took time to write that one down.
I couldn't stop laughing! Loved the "Elsie's diaper" part.
Now that is a classic! What a sweet 6 year old. Glad she meant "just for a few minutes"
Fun to finally catch up on your blog. You are a busy mom!
I am laughing! How funny!!! I am picturing you on the phone warning your neighbor of Anna's approach. Hilarous.I love that you packed her a PB&J sandwich for the road.
Post a Comment