Saturday, November 17, 2012

Field-Trips

I am happy to report that we are officially out of finger-paint around our house and I don't plan to restock it any time soon.  Quinn sure had a great time while it lasted.

 We were excited to have G-ma and G-pa P come for a quick visit because it's been almost a year since their last trip (minus watching kids in May but I didn't see them then).  They came to support the children in their primary program at church.  
 After enjoying a lovely dinner, they packed up and headed out taking Aaron with them so he could catch a flight out of the SL airport.
Cancun, Mexico
 Although the hotel was right on the beach with beautiful surroundings, he was stuck inside attending a conference all week.  Until the last day...
 ...when he spent time checking out the Mayan (1000 A.D.) ruins in Chichen Itza, Mexico.
 The ancient game played on this field involved two teams each with four men and a captain. It was not uncommon for the game to end upon the death of a captain.
 Some type of ball went through this hole - one found on each side of the opposing walls.
I would much prefer watching a game of modern-day basketball to the Mayan's version of it.
 The Mayans were a fierce people who practiced human sacrifice as a routine part of their culture.

 
While Aaron was on his field-trip, Elsie enjoyed a field-trip as well. 
An outing to the nearby straw maze in search of alphabet letters.

 The kids found all the letters on the first time through and then experimented with finding them backwards - but not Quinn.  Once he noticed the random assortment of trucks in the middle of a bunch of hay bales, he was done with the maze.



 After convincing him it was time to go home, we loaded up in the car while Elsie jumped aboard the bus and returned to school.  The low-key/low-budget field-trip was a first for this kindergartener.
And she was pretty excited about it!

1 comment:

AaronM said...

So that is why there is green along the caulk in the bath tub! :) I was baffled by that the other day. Thanks sweetie for posting my Mexico trip. I will have everyone know that this was a business trip but I had to see the ruins! It was a great experience.