Sunday, November 18, 2012

Paper and Patriotism

Don't you just love the "paper phase" of 3-year olds?  Well, add tape to that temporary obsession for this guy.  It doesn't seem to matter that I make a special effort to hide our tape dispensers.  Quinn has amazing cupboard climbing skills and has developed the uncanny ability to FIND the tape regardless of my efforts.  Don't get me wrong, I let him use tape, but he generally takes it to the extreme:)

Quinn is a talented kite-maker.  He's had a lot of practice.  Since we recycle around here, I usually have a stack of paper on hand but it seems we've been running low lately.

And on another note...

Our family has actively followed the political scene this past year.  The children watched the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates and some even wrote pages of questions to be asked after the debates were over.  We have had many passionate political conversations around the dinner table and discussed our responsibilities as citizens of this great nation.  We stayed up way too late watching the votes come in on Election Day and shed a few tears when the results became apparent.  Nonetheless, we are Americans and will continue to pray for the leaders of this country as they face difficult decisions in the future. 

 
 Referencing the emotional climate of our "little world", the annual veteran's program at the elementary school (days after Election Day) ignited my patriotic passions once again.  I can hardly see an American flag pass by without feeling a lump in my throat as I try to hold back the tears.
 This day was no exception.

The assignment to interview and write about a veteran is given to each 4th grade student.  Later, a few of the children were selected to read their stories to the audience as part of the program.
Jantzen shared the following about his Great Uncle Ray:

My great uncle, Ray M., served in the post Korean War era and was in the Air Force. He served our country during 1963-1979.  He was stationed at the Nellis Air Force Base outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.
         Ray was an Air Force fighter pilot, and he was the captain of his flight squadron.  Ray was considered one of the best fighter pilots in the entire Air Force.
         One night, in 1979, Ray and his squadron were doing night maneuvers. Night maneuvers are when they practice fighting the enemy at night.  That night his controls stopped working and there was a defect in the aircraft.  Ray could not tell how high he was going or what direction he was flying because it was dark. His plane crashed into a mountainside and Ray was killed.
         It was an unexpected tragedy.  Although it was a difficult time for our family, I am proud that he died in the service of our country.

G-ma and G-pa M were able to attend and they, too, were deeply touched by the program.

"Battle Hymn of the Republic" on the recorder
  I am proud to be an American!
I am grateful to all our military personel who are and who have sacrificed to safe-guard are freedoms.
God Bless America.

2 comments:

Malinda said...

There are usually great Black Friday deals on scotch tape. You could stuff Quinn's whole stocking full of it. :)

We had a similar experience with the elections in this house. Ben faithfully watched all of the debates and was pretty devastated by the outcome. It took some time to get over it (for all of us).

I love that your school has a Veterans Day program. I didn't even have to be there. Reading that story and seeing the boys in their cub uniforms was enough to choke me up a bit.

AaronM said...

My Uncle Ray was a great man who served our country. So proud of my son for representing him well at this tribute. Great post sweetie! :)