Friday, January 24, 2014

MLK/Birthday Weekend in CV

With the kids having a few days off from school (for MLK and teacher work day), we decided to visit G-ma and G-pa P's place in CV.  We learned that Jen, Will & June were flying into town on Monday and we wanted the cousins to be able to play together a bit. 
It worked out perfectly to have Kaylynn (en route to Canada after funeral in CA) hook up for a foot zone at Hilary's place Saturday evening - hooray!
We could have used a few more hours of "talk time" but I'm grateful for what we managed.
Long live the K-1 Crew!
It's funny the things I remember from my own growing up years.  To this day I can 'hear' Dad's weekly comment about his "good-looking bunch" (of kids) as we prepared to leave for church each week.  And now with my own crew, I couldn't agree with him more!
We wanted to get G-ma in the picture - before Quinn raced off...
He was especially tired (1-4pm) and slept through two hours of church!  I don't recall him ever accomplishing such a feat - even as a newborn.  Needless to say, it was unusual.
Sunday evening we watched the pioneer movie "Ephraim's Rescue" and felt such appreciation for those who sacrificed so much for the restored gospel.  We are a blessed people.
What an awesome background!
With a HCP product launch date looming, we left Aaron home to focus on his work commitments.  Monday afternoon G-ma, Hilary and I took the kids ice-skating at a nearby park.
G-ma and Elsie
G-ma P was our designated photographer and go-to person during this skating session.
Brinley, Korinne, Jenna
Jenna, Anna, Quinn, Heather, Brinley, Tanner, Jantzen, Britton
It was a beautiful weather day - and though still cold, some of the kids started shedding layers.  
Heather & Tanner
Elsie, Heather, Quinn
Without the option of having "walkers" for balance (available at the indoor rink), my arms got a workout helping Quinn and Elsie around and around and around the rink.  
My Energizer Bunny
Korinne & Elsie
Elsie patiently waiting for a turn around the rink with me...
Jantzen & Britton
Inside the skate rental building was packed with people coming and going.  Out on the ice it was a different story.   Plenty of room for us rookies to maneuver around.
Tanner & Anna
Anna, Jenna & Hilary
Anna & Will
Late Monday afternoon, G-pa P arrived from the airport with Jen, Will & June.  They were in a bit of a fog (15 hour time zone change) but it didn't take long for the cousins to start running around together.
June, Brinley, Jameson, Korinne
Family Home Evening
Jen & Jantzen
Jameson during the prayer
So I shouldn't have been peeking but Jameson was so adorably deliberate about getting ready for prayers, I couldn't help myself.  I snapped this at the amen...
Quinn & Will
On Sunday, the bishop (Adam) of G-ma & G-pa's ward challenged members to have a family temple experience during the third week of every month in lieu of ward temple night. 
Tanner played the piano and then G-ma and G-pa P gave a lesson on the history of the local temple.  They shared various family history stories relating to it.
And for our FHE treat (vanilla ice cream, homemade hot fudge & nuts), we sang and celebrated my upcoming birthday.
Tuesday morning (January 21) I woke up and found this lovely note on the bedroom door.  It says "Happy Birthday Mom!  We all love you!" Signed - Your Secret Servant.
Not having to cook or clean was a birthday gift enough.  G-ma P went above and beyond and made yummy crepes with fresh berries for breakfast.
Quinn, June, Elsie, Anna
 I've enjoyed more runs with Jen in the past 8 weeks than I have in the past 8 years combined.  Too bad she lives so far away!  Once we adjusted to the altitude, cold temperatures, icy spots, hills, jet-lag (for her), post-breakfast (for me), we found our groove.  We followed a deer trail along the mountainside in the beautiful sunshine.  Only the tugging responsibility of motherhood reminded us to turn around and head back home.
The kids helped G-ma get a real estate mailer out.
Hilary & Heather at Noodles
Jen was going to join us for a birthday lunch but Will wasn't feeling well.  Besides, it was the middle of the night for them - and they were sleeping:).  My combo meal of thai curry soup and a BBQ pork sandwich (random) totally hit the spot.  Thanks Hilary!

After loading the car, the kids and I headed out - homeward bound.  We timed it perfectly to meet Aaron in IF where he and I enjoyed dinner together. Tanner drove everybody the rest of the way home.  How convenient!
Wow - what a great day in the food department!  That's what birthdays are for, right?
 Key Lime Pie - of course.
Bob & Janene stopped by (at different times) to wish me a happy birthday and we skyped with Brandon and Stephanie from Florida.
Thanks to all of you for your birthday phone calls, messages, cards, gifts and the like!  
Am I really 41 now?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

We loved celebrating part of your birthday with you! Hooray for 41!

Jeff & Liberty said...

I had grand intentions to call, but clearly I failed in that department! BUT at least I sent a bday text...which coming from me is nothing short of miraculous! Haha. Happy belated bday!