Sunday, February 23, 2014

Science, Snowboarding, Sealing & Stuff

Lillian, Mrs. G., Lacie, Anna
As a reward for students who completed specific math fact requirements, Anna's teacher sponsored another evening of educational fun at the school with the local "Science Guys".
Apparently, they blew up all kinds of things in microwave.
A few physics majors from the local university came to teach and demonstrate all kinds of "cool stuff" to this group of 4th graders.  Anna even stepped upon a guy who was literally sandwiched between a bed of nails. 
 Jantzen plays in his final basketball game of the season this coming week. 
He has thoroughly enjoyed this team and their 6am practices.
The girls bathroom upstairs needed a change of color.
It's that time of the year (again) when I get the urge to bust out my painting supplies and make a difference in the world/house.  You know, something that will remain "done" longer than 5 minutes...unlike laundry and dishes.
I'm loving the color - rainwashed by Sherwin-Williams.
Of course, mid-project as I'm precarious perched in full awkwardness, I'm wondering what got into me.  The combination of my height, ladder issues, 9-10 ft. ceilings, super tight spaces, excessive clear caulk around the tub/shower that isn't paint-able, an over abundance of taping/prep work, heavily textured walls and ceilings without clean edges and staying up way past my bedtime to avoid the "extra" helpers wanting to participate = not a lot of fun.
But - I like the results... 
And so, I have one more project in me before packing the supplies away and calling it good for a while.  Maybe next week.

Shifting gears, our family schedule is always a juggling act but even more so when Aaron is out of town.  Sometimes it hurts my head just trying to figure out the logistics of a gazillion ever-changing details - and certainly not worth the effort to record or recall.  I wanted to mention just one of the many today as a reminder to me that "things always work out" - one way or another.
On Friday, after completing a few foot zone appointments and VT, I determined there was enough time to make a run to IF for a major grocery trip with Quinn before the other children returned from school/activities.  And so, I brought my cooler along and we made the trek.  Everything was timed perfectly so I could pick up Elsie and her friend, Abigail, at gymnastics at 4pm (Anna went to her friends' house after school) until I received a rushed phone call from the middle school where Jantzen was boarding a bus for his afternoon of snowboarding at a local ski resort.  He thought he left his coat in the Yukon that morning as I dropped him off and needed me to quickly bring it to the school.  Too bad I was just getting on the freeway 30 minutes away.  I had just filled the car with groceries and didn't remember seeing his coat so I thought of calling my neighbor so she could drive to my house and see if Jantzen's coat was there (I didn't remember seeing it on his hook either so that option wasn't super promising).  When I got a hold of her, she wasn't home but said she was in town and would finish an appointment in a bit.  There wouldn't be time for either of us to get a coat from my house.  Kelly mentioned having a few bags of clothes in her trunk marked for the DI and thought something might be in there that could work. Another option I considered was sending Jantzen with my lime green jacket (not that warm but...better than nothing) if I could reach him before the bus departed. I drove as fast as I reasonably could and arrived at the middle school to find the bus had already left for the final pick-up of kids at the Jr. High.  I cruised to the Jr. High relieved to see the bus just preparing to pull away.  I jumped out and got Jantzen off the bus and offered the green jacket (a bit feminine and not something an 11-year old wanted to consider).  He wasn't thrilled so we searched the Yukon again (no coat) hoping Kelly would arrive before the bus driver got too anxious.  Happy day - she pulled up and we ripped open the bags in her trunk to find a sweatshirt and hoodie.  Just as the lady in charge was coming to see what was going on (aka - they had a schedule to keep), Jantzen waved us good-bye and off he went.  In the meantime, I had to call Abigail's mother and explain the dilemma and ask her to pick up the girls from gymnastics which I felt badly about since she had younger sick kids at home (and had to load them all up).  As I thanked Kelly for "saving the day", she said "I was going to drop those bags off this morning but I guess I wasn't suppose to".  I was thankful (as was Jantzen) because when the sun goes down and the wind picks up, it's bitter cold outside!  He had enough layers to keep reasonably warm until Tanner picked him up at 10pm that evening (on Tanner's way home from a party).  Jantzen's coat is still M.I.A...

 And then there was yesterday.
G-ma P and her sister, Jackie
Never mind the drama of logistics, in the end I was able to attend the temple sealing of my cousin, Jamie and her husband, Cameron M. and their two children, Karsten and Abigail.
Jamie (Jackie's daughter) and me at luncheon/gathering
It was a beautiful experience and I'm excited for this new chapter in their lives.  The gospel of Jesus Christ is all about families - and it's worth the sacrifice and commitment for a forever family.  Jamie and Cameron are anticipating the arrival of another little girl in a few weeks!
Quinn was all about the dinosaurs - never mind the food.
Quinn and Anna joined me for the afternoon.  They patiently remained in the waiting area of the temple - with coloring books, etc. until after the sealing and we drove over to Jackie's place for a bit.
Anybody remember this beauty?  It's still in the family.  Now it stands guard at the base of Jackie's dangerous stairwell (no railing) to keep little ones from exploring.  Wow - seeing this brought back a flood of childhood memories.
Our time was brief as I had to rush home to get Elsie before Tanner and Brinley left for youth baptisms at the temple and to pick up Jantzen after his basketball game.
Anna and Great G-ma Ann
Uncle Steve K. - kitchen duty
G-ma P with Anna

Another wonderful week.  And Aaron will be around for this one.  Hooray!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

It was SO great to see you. I was happy that you were able to make it. It was a great day.

Kristen said...

You do an amazing job of juggling your family's schedule. No wonder your head hurts. Are there any oils for that kind of headache?