Saturday, March 1, 2014

Artists, Decorators, Dancers, Painters & Musicians

I am not known for my artistic abilities though I did draw a few awesome renditions of a pink/rainbow colored bandaged finger and the Washington Monument in my 5th art class at Tinc Road School in Flanders, New Jersey.  I still remember that class as it constitutes the only "art education" I've ever received.  Lack of training aside, I am now a mom-helper for the PTO art program on Thursday mornings from 8:15-9:05am for the next eight weeks.  (That's what happens when your friend is over the program and you don't have babies/toddlers at home any more).
Anna working on her perspective drawing.
  Some of our children have fared much better in this department - thanks to the M. genes.
 Quinn enjoys coming along and doing a little art as well.
Brinley with the 'lollipops in gumdrops' she made as part of table decorations.
The set-up for Brinley's YW New Beginnings evening was another amazing 'work of art'.  The gymnasium floor became a giant Candy Land game board (balloons were part of the "rainbow bridge") where we participated in answering YW program/gospel-related questions to move our game pieces forward.
I really should have taken pictures of the table centerpieces - they looked high effort and were very clever - all with candy themes.
 I did get a few pics of the dessert table at least.
 The girls had fun introducing the incoming Beehives via a game show.  
Brinley's new young women leaders really made an impression - and the girls had a great time!
Brinley, Brynn, Haley
 Apparently, high school dances have very little to do with dancing.  It's all about the marathon day/date that takes place before the actual dance begins.  The "Sweetheart Ball" is a girl's choice dance that Tanner attended with Jessica (a junior who is graduating early and starting college soon) earlier this month.  Most in his group were juniors and seniors though he did have a few friends in the mix.  This is when having a tuxedo in the closet (for orchestra concerts) comes in handy:).
 I have loved this shower curtain for many years.  Alas, I wanted contrast between the wall color and the color of the cabinetry so I did a repeat.  I had purchased two gallons of the paint color rainwashed and it was just enough to paint both bathrooms.
 This not new shower curtain came from the boys' bathroom. 
Now I have the contrast I was looking for so I can be done painting for awhile.

Artists, decorators, dancers, painters and did I mention musicians?
 Serious talent.
 Friday evening was filled with the mind-boggling musical talent of pianist/composer, William Joseph.  The violist he brought along was every bit as talented - as was the entire orchestra.  I have been to numerous concerts and listened to impressive musicians in various venues over the years. Last night was a jaw-dropping performance.  

Other than catching a few YouTube videos of him recently (my kids especially like the one he recorded with Lindsey Sterling), this was my first experience with William Joseph's music.  I'm a fan.  Totally and completely.  Where have I been?  Needless to say, it was a memorable evening with Tanner, Anna, Elsie, Quinn and G-pa M.
(Jantzen -  snowboarding, Brinley - at our local version of American Idol, Aaron - camping with the deacons quorum)

Phone pics - not so great.
It was an awesome evening! 

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Looks like everyone is busy participating in "top notch" events. Nice.