Amazing how $2.00 worth of decor from the dollar store creates such a festive mood around our place.
When I finally realized this stuff matters to my kids (a few years ago), I decided it mattered to me too. No more bah-humbugs about the holidays.
And Brinley loves being the designated decorator.
| Little Leprechaun left his top hat behind along with some gold pieces. |
I've never been one to "perpetuate" leprechauns, tooth fairies, bunnies, etc.
Others have taken up the slack.
Breakfast is served.
Lucky Charms cereal and apple juice with chlorophyll:).
For dinner on St. Patty's Day, I skipped the traditional all green meal in lieu of another Irish dish - Beef Cabbage Hash
FHE treat - mint brownies - yum!
| Brinley - reading Quinn the note "Leprechaun" left in his bed. |
A few days before St. Patty's Day, Aaron and Quinn were having a conversation about leprechauns. Aaron explained to Quinn leprechauns were not real even though it was fun to pretend and such. We giggled at Quinn's response, "The fake leprechaun is real though. And there's only one and his name is Leprechaun."
Elsie's 1st grade class set all kinds of traps and really got into catching leprechauns at school. Naturally, she set up her own trap at home and a few notes were exchanged.
The 5th grade curriculum includes completion of the D.A.R.E. program taught by a local police officer. The students learn all about the harmful effects of drug and alcohol use, different types of bullying and how to respond, healthy lifestyles, proper communication, respecting themselves and others, and more.
All four hundred plus 5th graders from the middle school were honored at a special program held at the high school this past week. Guest speaker, Jason Buck (former NFL player & Super Bowl Champion) shared his life story with the large audience and encouraged the students to have a dream and work for it. Though it was an excellent message, it went a bit long (for 11-year olds) in this setting.
| Isaac, Jace, Brayden, Jantzen, Cole |
This is absolutely Quinn's favorite outfit to wear these days. In fact, he's been known to take it out of the washing machine (wet) insisting that he wear it at that moment. So, when Talon came to play on Friday, Quinn quickly changed into his matching outfit.
Earlier in the day, Quinn and I met Aaron at Tanner's track meet where he shaved a few more seconds off his 1600m PR. He also ran a strong 800m and is learning how to get out quickly and run smart. When I returned from my "spot" where I always go to cheer Tanner on, Aaron asked, "What do you say to him over there?" I laughed and recalled that much of what comes out of my mouth reminds me of what my own Dad said so many years ago..."relax your arms, keep your eyes on the one in front of you, they're getting tired, keep reeling them in, you're in excellent position...".
Earlier in the day, Quinn and I met Aaron at Tanner's track meet where he shaved a few more seconds off his 1600m PR. He also ran a strong 800m and is learning how to get out quickly and run smart. When I returned from my "spot" where I always go to cheer Tanner on, Aaron asked, "What do you say to him over there?" I laughed and recalled that much of what comes out of my mouth reminds me of what my own Dad said so many years ago..."relax your arms, keep your eyes on the one in front of you, they're getting tired, keep reeling them in, you're in excellent position...".
| Brinley and Anna on the trampoline. |
Saturday's weather was incredible.
Unfortunately, Aaron wasn't feeling well so little was accomplished outside.
We did, however, plant a rhubarb start given to us by the Turley's.
Thanks to Tanner for all of the digging!
Following our 1-4pm Sunday meetings today, I attended an additional Stake meeting for High Priests and their wives. It was a wonderful meeting but I felt especially grateful to come home and find this on the kitchen counter.
The older kids helped prepare dinner. Brinley went all out and made super yummy twice-baked potatoes - two pans full. I know some were hoping there would be more left-overs but we gobbled them up. Thanks to all who helped!




4 comments:
Brinley, I am impressed. Great job on the dinner. Tanner, good job on track and digging in the yard. Quinn good job on dressing in your favorite outfit.
Nice.
Way to jump on the holiday bandwagon! Fortunately for me my kids don't care about holidays so I haven't had to go there. For St. Patty's we wore green and called it a day. Every once in awhile I ask them if they want something more, but they assure me they are just fine. Is it nature or nurture? We may never know. . .
Did you lnow that Jason Buck is related to Grandma Kerr? His uncle coaches in Blackfoot and I taught some of their kids in school. They loved the fact that we were related. I love Quin's matching clothes.
I would love for Brinley to come cook for us. I did't realize Tanner was running these days. Way to be festive with St. Patrick's Day!
Post a Comment