Saturday, May 16, 2015

Field-trips, Art Show & Learning Fair

Oh, it's that wonderful time of year again.  The month of may-hem.  We are one-half of the way through May already with a flurry of activities still ahead.  Each day is full of adventure.  Life is never dull around these parts.  And I'm grateful to record a few snip-its along the way.
Last year I was the "art mom" for Anna's 4th grade class.  This time around I helped out in Elsie's 2nd grade class.  The entire program is funded and run by volunteer PTO parents.  New easels were purchased this year which allowed the children to do more painting than in the past.  Personally, that's my favorite part!  I enjoy watching the creative juices flow in these little minds.
Getting all the artwork up on display proved to be more challenging than anticipated.  Fortunately, there were several mom-helpers around so we got the job done just in time.
Knowing I would be busy that evening during the actual show, I had Elsie stand by her artwork during her lunch break at school.  Her favorite piece of work - the bowling pin painting.
The official Art Show was held on Thursday, April 30 at the elementary school.  Those in attendance went around the gallery asking students questions about their art work.  After receiving signatures from at least 5 different 'artists', slips of paper were entered into a raffle.  
These foil statues looked so very cool on display.
I was the lucky woman to draw all the names.  Of course, the primary kids from our ward kept begging me to draw their name for a prize:).  I didn't peak - but still managed to pull three of my own children.  We gave away over 80 prizes - art project materials donated by local businesses.  Fortunately, there were lots of winners.
Riding the school bus full of 7-8 year olds is a p-a-r-t-y!
 
Since Elsie's field trip was held in the afternoon (May 5), I dropped Quinn off at kindergarten, enjoyed the Teddy Bear Picnic and helped with Pacers program before hopping on the bus headed for Bear World.  Having a tour guide on the bus giving all kinds of interesting information was right up my alley.  I love a good tour with a knowledgeable guide.
Dana and Elsie were assigned as field trip buddies.
The petting zoo portion of the outing was Elsie's least favorite part.  This picture shows how close she wanted to get to any and all of the animals.  She especially remembered the semi-aggressive deer, Daisy.  Daisy likes to nibble on clothing and Elsie is not a fan.
Bright blue peacock on top of a building.
In the distance, the 18 month-old cubs were playing together.
Watching the 4-month old cubs is always a treat.  Such cute little rascals...
Lydia, Elsie, Dana
We learned about all types of critters and Elsie enjoyed feeling the different furs that hung in the visitors' center area.
One more field trip yet to come for Elsie.  Students qualify to attend by running a certain number of miles during the school year.  The much anticipated Pacers field trip is sponsored by the PTO.  The rumor is that they will be going to Squealers Fun Park with bumper cars, games, miniature golf, etc.
Elsie's Pacer Shoe - 50 miles completed
The 5th grade Learning Fair is a big to do (May 8).  Each student is required to select an influential person that has made a positive impact on society to research and present information on.
We watched the hair-do tutorial for Lindsey's "peacock" to get the hair right.
After preparing posters, hand-outs and organizing the information, they dress-up like the person then  share their findings with parents and peers.  Anna wanted to research Lindsey Stirling, the dancing violinist that has taken You-Tube by storm.  Her popularity has sky-rocketed all the more since Anna danced with her at Matt & Whitney's wedding reception in December 2013.  Whitney and Lindsey were roommates and best friends (until Whitney found Matt, anyway).
Anna and Malia
We met Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Sacajawea, Ruby Bridges and 30 other prominent people from history.  Anna spiced things up a bit with her selection and did a fantastic job with the project.

And then there was Anna's field trip (May 11).  She really wanted me to be a chaperone so Aaron and I coordinated our schedules to make it happen.  It's probably the last field trip she'll have where parents are invited to tag along.  There wasn't room on the bus for me to ride down with the students so I drove my own car (which worked well since I ran a few errands in the vicinity).  First, we spent time at a museum with a special pirates exhibit on display.  It was very cool - I was impressed!  They did not allow photography of any kind so no pics.  Not sure how thrilled Anna was with the fact that I made certain the girls in my group did not leave the exhibit without learning a few things:).  
What can I say - history is fascinating!  
I witnessed first hand all the junk kids bring in their "lunches".  They shared plenty of it with Anna.
 The students had lunch at a nearby park before heading to an indoor swimming pool where they spent the rest of their field trip time.  After getting everybody settled at the pool and seeing the supervision was adequate, I quickly headed out to run a few errands and then beat the bus back to school.  Worked perfectly.
Anna & Malia
Meanwhile, Aaron accompanied Quinn on his exciting adventures through Bear World.
 Quinn and the triplets were a group.
 Quinn on the bus with Brock.
 Yes, the triplets are identical.  They almost always wear their designated colors.  Aiden - red, Brock - blue, Collin - green.  On St. Patty's Day they wore green and it threw everybody off!

 Apparently, Quinn enjoyed the petting zoo area more than Elsie did.
 Other than the P. family reunion two years ago, we haven't taken our children to Bear World - it's a bit pricey.  I was super happy both Quinn and Elsie were able to have school field trips there this year.  In my opinion, observing 56 bears in nature is an awesome sight no matter how old you are.
 Quinn standing next to his kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Ivers.
 Morning and afternoon classes together.
 Aiden with Quinn during the tour through the park.  Looking through the window you can see part of a bison.
 Aiden, Quinn, Kamay - kindergarten is the best!
The feeding truck.  
Watch out - you never know what a hungry bear will do!

The kids are enjoying their final days of school.  
Summer is right around the corner.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Congratulations to Elsie, Anna and Quinn. Busy for mom and dad too.