Thursday, December 28, 2017

Merry Christmas 2017...and a surgery too.

December is generally an extra busy month for most people - no matter how much you work to simplify things.  And while I haven't been able to capture the action of this basketball season yet, Jantzen's schedule has been full of practices, games, school assemblies (why is it that everybody wants to watch the boys basketball team dance like girls?).  Besides a slight hiccup with a broken finger, it's been a wonderful season thus far for Jantzen.  He is looking forward to being able to play in the next few games as the cast is coming off soon.  FYI - and even with the hand cast, Jantzen is by far the best dancer on the basketball team - haha!  A mom friend of mine at the assembly sent me video proof.

Another aspect of December that I have not included has been the process of arriving at the conclusion that it would be in my best interest to pursue a LAVH (laproscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy).  Aside from the 'drama' with our insurance provider, we scheduled surgery for Thursday, Dec. 21 knowing Aaron could take some time off from work to help out more at home.  We were given the 'green light' late Tuesday from the insurance company.  We then felt confident about informing the kids about what was on the Christmas calendar - ha!  I can't say Wednesday was very fun - I paid a lot of money (at the pharmacy) to basically make myself sick (bowel prep procedure).  Being on a clear liquids diet for two days prior just meant I was super hungry and super happy they moved up my surgery time from 1:30pm to 7:30am on Thursday.  Of course, the irony is that I didn't feel like eating much for the few days following surgery either.
Sweet Christmas card made by anonymous 4th grader
for people at the hospital during the holidays.
I spent one eventful night in the hospital (catheter issues - ugh) then Aaron brought me home on Friday.  The first few days were pretty rough but each day is getting better.  I will admit that I haven't maintained a bathrobe as my preferred wardrobe for an entire week before.  Nor have I left the house.  I have been able to climb the stairs a few times however because the kids and I have nearly finished the entire Harry Potter series - a first for me.
Aaron has been very helpful and moved the mattress off the bedframe anticipating it would be too hard for me to get in and out of.  He was right.  And who doesn't love a bouquet of flowers when you feel miserable?  Thanks everyone - for your help and prayers!  I'm working hard at being patient with this long recovery process...
....Meanwhile, the kids have been able to carry on several holiday traditions without my supervision.  They have made ginger bread houses, baked sugar cookies, delivered Sub-4-Santa gifts, gathered costumes for our Nativity, etc.
making sugar cookies on Christmas Eve 
Julia giving Polly to Jantzen (Joseph)
Chris & Julia joined us for Christmas Eve and brought a lovely meal with them.  It was a nice change of pace and I came out of hibernation for a few hours to watch the evening unfold.  Although wiggly, Polly accomplished the role of Baby Jesus and everyone else took part in acting out the Nativity.
Faye - took her angel role seriously:).
Jantzen as Joseph with Greta as Mary
Quinn insisted on being the shepherd and the three wisemen were Brinley, Anna and Elsie.
I have a feeling Christmas jammies will be in our future again (some kids have too many pj's and others wear whatever anyway....) but we kept with the bedtime theme and gave them movies again from China.  After opening the traditional Christmas Eve gift, they were banished to the upstairs where their own little party began.  I sat on the couch and 'directed traffic' while Aaron set out the gifts and prepared the stockings.  Most of this had already been organized but it was still hard for me to be an observer.  That night sleep was elusive for me (though not due to the childhood excitement commonly associated with Christmas Eve) so I did hear the kids manage to get around Aaron's awesome traps this year but of course didn't even try to 'catch them'.

This is only one of Aaron's traps but my favorite this time around.  He painstakingly stacked these red cups at the top of the stairs.  Notice the yellow string attaching a top to bottom cup on the backside?  It triggered an avalanche of plastic cups...somehow in the night Jantzen jumped the railing and was able to direct the avalanche backwards instead of down the stairs...haha!  I still heard the ruckus...
Christmas Morning - 7:30am
Brooks and Betty Oldham brought us a yummy breakfast on Christmas morning!
With a surplus of food around here, the makings for our breakfast ring are still in the fridge...perhaps we'll make it for breakfast on New Year's Day this time around.
Quinn - easy-to-please boy who no longer 'believes'....
Living in cold country, Aaron has wanted to expose our children to winter sports for a while.  We decided this would be the year to encourage Quinn and Elsie to give snow-skiing a try and to let Anna improve her skills as well.  With basketball commitments, Jantzen's snow-boarding has been put on hold and Brinley doesn't have a strong interest to participate in either activity.  So - for three of the kids - their Christmas theme was skis & a few lessons at nearby Kelly Canyon during the holiday break.
Skis and squishies = happy Elsie
Anna - suitcase for her 14-year old trip with Dad this spring
Jantzen - holding towel from G-ma & G-pa P and basketball training gear
Brinley - art supplies and donation to HEFY Thailand - June 2018 
Family gift - ping-pong table  

The best gift of course was the opportunity we had to talk with Tanner for 40 minutes.  Although we had the bigger computer monitor set-up for the call, the audio wasn't working on his end so we had to settle for chatting with him on Aaron's phone.  We gave each of the kids a few minutes then Aaron and I took the last bit of time.  Tanner loves the work and is making a huge impact in the lives of many people while serving in the Pennsylvania Pittsburg Mission.  He's currently in Jamestown, NY where there is A LOT of snow.  Due to poor living conditions, he was able to help secure another apartment more centrally located in the area a while back.  It's proved fortuitious because mission rules prevent them from driving when the roads are snow covered.  Living in town has allowed them to maintain more contact with people and the work is progressing - there's a lot of work to do!

We enjoyed facetiming with G-ma and G-pa P in Missouri and G-ma and G-pa M in Hawaii - both on missions.  We also talked with Great G-pa LaVerne in St. George and laughed at the fact that he's growing a gotee at age 95.  He told us the backstory of how Ruth didn't like facial hair and once told him the kissing would be over if he took to a mustache or beard.  He figured there was nothing holding him back now so why not give it a go?  Ha-ha!  That's just one of the things I love about LaVerne - you're never too old to try something new.  It was a very Merry Christmas indeed!
Aaron came through with the reubens:).




1 comment:

Kristen said...

Looks like Aaron did a good job filling in under your direction. Sandwiches look good too. Hope you are feeling better every day.