Although it's already November, I'm going to do a little catching up this week on our family blog.
My last post was about the Youth Trek that Jantzen, Anna and Elsie participated in. This was Laverne's final weekend here on earth. Saturday afternoon (Aug. 3) I picked up Elsie from her dance camp and felt impressed to go visit Laverne with her. We knew he had taken a turn for the worse as he had fallen a few times that week (trying to get up in the night). Our visit with him just days before was a completely different scene. Now he was in a hospital bed with an oxygen tank and hospice was involved. Marc and Pam (Eynon) had been staying with Laverne for almost two weeks helping look after things as his decline was very rapid.
I've always felt that Laverne and I shared a special relationship which stemmed from the fact that he and Ruth became well acquainted with my grandparents (Bob & Aloha Kerr) beginning with their time in Texas together at the end of World War II. Laverne and Ruth served alongside Bob and Aloha in various church callings and raised their families in close proximity to each other (Blackfoot/Snake River areas). I learned more about my own grandparents (especially Aloha) through Aaron's grandparents which is a treasure to me.
Laverne and I had many heartfelt talks together over the years. This was our final conversation in this life and I can't say it was without tears. In fact, this quiet time together was something I will always remember. I love this man and the many things he taught me. It was a privilege to have him join us each Sunday for dinner (while Bob and Janene were on their mission) and to be involved in this winding up period of his life.
| Elsie saying her good-byes to Great G-pa |
Not long after Elsie and I returned home, Tanner headed up to have a few moments with Laverne. Two days after this visit, Tanner posted this beautiful message on Facebook/Instagram....
Dear Great-Grandpa,
Good morning! Since you passed away early this morning, I’m sure you’ve been enjoying a reunion with Grandma Ruth and Uncle Ray—give them hugs for us all, will you?
I’ll miss having you there every Sunday for supper. I’ll miss helping you put your socks on in the mornings before I go to class. I’ll miss your clever sense of humor. I’ll miss your words of wisdom and insight. I’ll miss your head flicks. I’ll miss your funny and meaningful birthday cards. I’ll miss being your “go-to” tech support guy to help you with your iPhone, smart watch, social media accounts, home surround sound, and all that other good stuff everyone in their 90's has. Wait no, not everyone in their 90's has that stuff. You were just awesome and were always striving to learn something new.
I’ll always cherish times we had like impromptu lunches together, or taking you to see the doctor, or going on a double date, or helping you exercise around Smith Park, or your unexpected phone calls just to chat for a bit, or your phone messages asking questions about any number of things. (I hope you don’t mind if I saved a couple of your voicemails.) Such great memories. Goodness Grandpa—I’ll miss you.
I’ll do my best to honor your name. I can’t promise perfection, but I can promise perseverance because, after all, no person I know has better demonstrated and taught perseverance than you. I love you and I thank you.
In the meantime, I don’t know what kind of WiFi service they use up there, but don’t hesitate to call me if your computer gets disconnected or your watch stops displaying how many steps you taken, and I’ll do what I can to help fix it 
Love,
Tanner
Tanner
| Quinn & Elsie |
In between their travels, G-ma and G-pa P happened to be in town and able to drive north for the viewing on Friday evening. It was a quick visit but we appreciated their attendance. They walked in just as these old photos were rotating through a video of Laverne's life and instantly caught G-ma P's attention.
| Aloha & Ruth walking through Texas towns together en route to Idaho. Both were expecting at the time - with my uncle Steve and Aaron's dad, Bob (named after my grandpa!). |
These photos were given to me years ago by Ruth before she passed away.
| G-ma & G-pa P leaving funeral home. |
The funeral services were held on Saturday, August 10. Laverne was very organized and had his funeral program outlined years before he needed it. He asked me to help with a musical number but didn't give me specifics. As Kelly G. and I discussed possibilities, the selection became very clear and I knew exactly what Laverne would have us include. It was impressive that 29 of his 30 grandchildren were in attendance and sang "Nearer My God to Thee". I played piano and Kelly accompanied with her violin. It was a beautiful service and celebration of a life well lived.
| Large family gathering at luncheon following funeral service. |
| Jantzen, Jameson (just home from his mission to OR), Sariah |
| Lillian, Anna, Alison |
| Military honors at Moreland Cemetery |
| Bryant, Aaron, Chris - casket bearers |
| Ruth and Laverne's old house in Moreland. |
| Beautiful flowers from HCP to our family. |
We love you Laverne! Until we see you again....
No comments:
Post a Comment