Thursday, January 8, 2009

Are We Done Yet?

This is the question of the day!

Our day started at an early hour as Anna and I made our way to the local hospital for the 'big event'....getting her tonsils and adenoids removed!  I nearly had myself talked out of proceeding with the surgery but after yesterday's pre-op appointment, I knew we needed to just get it over with.  The actually surgery only took 20 minutes but we've been at the hospital for hours and hours because our little trooper doesn't enjoy taking medicine (major understatement) and hasn't yet convinced herself that chocolate milkshakes really do make everything all better.  In fact, unless a miracle occurs, it looks like we'll both be spending the night here.

I'm full of love and sympathy but this little box with four sides (hospital room) seems to be getting smaller and smaller and my tiny chair just isn't cutting it for me...I've actually asked for another chair so I can elevate my legs (that's another story) but nothing has appeared quite yet. Being nearly 6 months pregnant isn't exactly comfortable in the best of circumstances and I think I'm getting a bit grumpy...but enough about me!

Anna's tonsils were enlarged and had infection all around them. The adenoids were of similar size and blocking nearly 90% of her airway (sleeping at night...not so fun).  She will be a much healthier and happier child in a few weeks as everything continues to heal.  Our main goal is keeping her hydrated and out of the hospital (once we make it home, that is!).  Poor girl...she is exhausted...physically, mentally and emotionally!  Her dramatic flair for life has certainly spilled over into the events of this day.  Even the nurses are shaking their heads and wishing me luck for the post-recovery period at home.  At least while Anna has an IV in, she is getting the necessary fluids and medication.   

I think she could use a few extra prayers!  To be continued...

5 comments:

Malinda said...

We'll pray for Anna (and for you!). Having a kid in the hospital is just about the worst thing ever. Good luck!

Erica Borrowman said...

My goodness, Heather...poor you, and poor Anna! We will say an extra prayer for you both and hope for a speedy recovery for her - and some relief for you through the end of your pregnancy. We love you!

Jeff & Liberty said...

Oh boy! Best of luck to you all. I'm thinking of you!

Tiffany Salter said...

Abigail is having a pretty tough day today, but this certainly helps me keep it all in perspective! We hope Anna has a very speedy recovery and that you get that chair to prop your feet up on ASAP!

larah said...

Wow, tonsils. Sorry to hear that they had to be taken out. Hopefully that will be a good thing as time goes by. Good luck with the recovery process.