Pictures would have been too graphic. I'll summarize the scene by saying that the dog managed to push open the back door near the kitchen (it wasn't dead bolted) and explore every garbage can and room in the entire house. He left a trail of dirty paw prints all over as he managed to haul stuff in and out of the open door for who knows how long? Ugh. It was pretty traumatic to find Brinley's American Girl doll (beloved Christmas treasure from Santa) out in the snow with several appendages missing. Anna was also tearful (understatement) about the teddy bear she received from the hospital during her recent visit...with the face ripped off and stuffing littering the snow. Shoes, a bag of apples, bread, decorative house pillows, etc. were scattered about outside. The garbage cans revealed their treasures including wet diapers shredded about (at least the #2's were in the garage can--whew!) and so forth.
I called Aaron (who was still at the church) to share the fun surprise and our good Bishop let him 'go home early' to help with the crisis. After lots of tears and Aaron's pep talk about forgiveness (of Dawson), the kids are feeling better. We are, however, working through a few other 'dog issues' so his future here is in question...
10 comments:
OH NO! I'll bet you could convince Dad to take him if your kids are too traumatized! This is an excellent reminder of why we don't have a pet right now! Someday Abigail may force us to reconsider, but for now I am grateful to be pet free. Give the kids a big hug from us, we are so sorry to hear about all of the damage.
That is HORRIBLE! If that was my house, Aaron would have to give me a pep talk about forgiveness too. I think I will archive this post so I can use it as exhibit A if my kids ever ask for a dog.
Wow! I am so sorry! That sounds awful. Not the kind of surprise you ever hope to find. We have fish. They are relatively harmless. I don't think a dog is on our list.
Oh, how we can empathize with your situation. Poor Dawson, now he has a bad rep. Good luck with all that. Hope the kids have recovered.
Steve said:
Dawson might have earned an invitation for lunch in Korea. McKay has the receipe.
I think I need a pep talk on forgiveness and he isn't even my dog! But then again you know exactly how I feel about dogs--don't get a dog within 25 feet of me and we can still be friends.
I agree with Hilary. We are a NO PET FAMILY. Riley and I would have just died if that was our house. I am really sorry and hope you are all healing from that experience....poor kids and their Christmas toys. You guys are awesome with your attitude of patience and forgiveness-wow!
Maybe someday, you will laugh at this.....maybe!
Oh, my goodness, my goodness! What a terror! Poor everyone...not being a dog lover, my sympathies are mostly for you and the kids. It's one of the few times I could probably say that I really love our low-maintenance cat. But with either, you definitely learn some lessons of pet ownership the hard way! Good luck...and Happy Birthday, Heather!
I don't know how old your Dawson is, but they usually grow out of the really annoying phases. I had a dog, Maynerd, and I finally got so tired of him that he became an outside dog. Then for some reason he was in the house about 6 months later and he was much better behaved. I know yours isn't an inside dog, but I just wanted to give you a little hope. They are just like children and they go through an annoying "teenage" phase, but remember 'dog years' go by much quicker. 1:7 ratio I believe. I am so sorry about the lost treasures I know how heartbreaking that can be. I had a lid pop off one of my containers in the garage of Chrismas Santas and the mice got in and just ruined everything in that box. I cried.
China eats lots of dogs. I learned today that winter time is the season to eat Black Labs. Who knew there was a season for dog??
I would have been interested to see Dad's face as he read this post...
Post a Comment