Sunday, January 25, 2009

Doggone...

After a week of discussing and deciding, Dawson dog returned to where he came from yesterday afternoon.  Lots of tears and sadness accompanied the decision but the kids determined there would be a better home out there for him.  Last Sunday's 'break-in' certainly didn't help his case, but it was not the reason for Dawson's departure.  

It's no secret that we've dealt with dog-phobia in the past (who could blame a kid after being attacked by the neighbor's dog last summer?).  Great progress was being made by Jantzen and Anna.  After the first week of Dawson's arrival, they would go outside and pet/play with him with some measure of confidence.  Dawson never barked and loved being with the children.  Unfortunately, in his play he got too excited one day and jumped up on the younger ones...only to ignite their fear of dogs all over again.   Nothing we tried could successfully convince them otherwise and their concerns began interfering with everyday life (i.e.--getting on and off the bus without Mom, in and out of the car without Mom, etc.).  I talked with the lady at the animal shelter and she confided that a dog of this mix keenly senses the fear of others and takes advantage of it--so when Dawson started nipping at the kids this week, our decision was much easier to make!  That would have been good information about six weeks ago.

Tanner took excellent care of his dog and Brinley loved him like her own.  She has a HUGE heart!  They thoroughly enjoyed their time with Dawson and cried the most when it came time for him to leave.  Even Mom shed a few tears...mostly because she knew of their broken hearts.  It was a bittersweet experience even for Jantzen and Anna.  Overall, it has been a good experience for our family but we won't be acquiring another dog anytime soon.... 

Case in point....Dawson was already gone when Aaron discovered his 'overdue' software package out in the snow--completely destroyed!  How could the UPS driver miss the signs we posted around the front door and on the nearby container for him to PUT the packages into?!?  Dawson ended up being a very expensive dog to have around....


More snow arrived yesterday so Tanner and Brinley are having fun being pulled in the sled.

Aaron decked out in his gear with Jantzen on the 4-wheeler pulling the sled around the yard.

Anna loves the new mittens that match her coat and hat.


Bedtime for everybody.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

So sorry about the dog. I hope the kids broken hearts mend soon.

Jeff & Liberty said...

I feel bad for the kids. Give them my love.

We too tried a dog once, but it only lasted one week. I guess we just weren't meant to be "dog people."

larah said...

So sorry that you never could see eye to eye with Dawson. Hopefully all the tears have dried and the kids are moving on. Maybe try a fish!

Kristen said...

If you get a fish, I already have a name picked out....Flush.

Sorry to hear about Dawson. I kind of liked him, but when he started nipping at the kids, he was toast in my book.

Dad

Kristen said...

I'm sorry that Dawson didn't work out. Dad really liked that dog so it was all I could do to keep him from driving up and getting him-a condo wouldn't have worked for a dog like Dawson.

Give the kids a big hug for us. That's a hard one.

Ker-Dog and the gang said...

I totally understand your pain. We've said goodbye to 2 dogs now and even though I didn't love the dogs it still broke my heart to watch my kids so sad. The good news is...they get over it!

Tay and Jen said...

Aaron, don't stretch out my snow hat with your big head! I wondered where I left that hat.
Tay

Erica Borrowman said...

Too bad about Dawson...for the best, though, it sounds like. I guess I have my doubts that any situation is perfect, or even well-suited, for dog ownership. For dog or owner. A little heartbreaking, Heather. I hope the kids are doing good. Maybe a turtle?? :) Love you guys.

Jared and Stephanie said...

Dawson makes Magic seem like a good dog. I am sorry for your kids hearts but all these things give us experience, right.
Stephanie